Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to bruncher,niord,gvonge,Shelford,GrahamPlatt, for Donating to support the site

Warks v Hants last day

Please create a thread for your favourite topic.
didds
Lemon Half

Warks v Hants last day

Postby didds » September 29th, 2022, 5:00 pm

Amazing last couple of sessions at Edgbaston today.

If you have the time find the youtube coverage of todays play and watch what you can through to the end.

Just amazing sport.

Liam Norwell... take a bow.

didds
(Who is a Kent supporter!)

scottnsilky
Lemon Slice

Re: Warks v Hants last day

Postby scottnsilky » September 29th, 2022, 10:54 pm

I looked at the score board on BBC sport, Hampshire needed 37 runs (I think that was the figure) and 3 wickets !eft, I assumed they would manage that and finish the season runners-up, fortunately, being a Lancastrian, they didn't manage it and we are runners-up. Well done Lancs! But yes, brilliant bowling by Norwell.

CryptoPlankton
Lemon Slice

Postby CryptoPlankton » September 30th, 2022, 1:40 am

A shame for Hampshire - more wins than anyone else and only third. Suggests to me that the league may be structured too much towards rewarding safety first (that is, good points for a draw) rather than encouraging teams to always try to get a result. In this day and age, I would have thought the long version of the game could ill-afford too many dull sessions of unambitious cricket.

CP (eyes watering at the tartness of these grapes!)

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » September 30th, 2022, 10:39 am

CryptoPlankton wrote:Suggests to me that the league may be structured too much towards rewarding safety first (that is, good points for a draw) rather than encouraging teams to always try to get a result.

being boringly pedantic here ( :-) ) the reverse however is that if sides have little gain in fighting for a draw (ie points wise) then they wont bother to try and save games with rear-guard actions, and chuck in the towel to get an early finish and get home earlier.

Though given bazzball for England doesn't rely on them building long innings maybe that ethos (ie rear-guard fighting) is no longer important to the test team of course... ;-)

didds

CryptoPlankton
Lemon Slice

Postby CryptoPlankton » September 30th, 2022, 6:00 pm

didds wrote:
CryptoPlankton wrote:Suggests to me that the league may be structured too much towards rewarding safety first (that is, good points for a draw) rather than encouraging teams to always try to get a result.

being boringly pedantic here ( :-) ) the reverse however is that if sides have little gain in fighting for a draw (ie points wise) then they wont bother to try and save games with rear-guard actions, and chuck in the towel to get an early finish and get home earlier.

Though given bazzball for England doesn't rely on them building long innings maybe that ethos (ie rear-guard fighting) is no longer important to the test team of course... ;-)

didds

It's a tricky one. Hopefully, retaining a few points for a draw would help to prevent "throwing in the towel". However, I think it would be preferable to see more incentive for dashing declarations than for teams to often find it acceptable to just "go through the motions" all through a final day to pick up half points. I'd be happier see teams occasionally capitulate and get home early myself than sit through that on a regular basis!

Still, sadly, it's probably all academic in the medium term...

Return to “Sports Bar (all sports)”