Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Anonymous,bruncher,niord,gvonge,Shelford, for Donating to support the site

Transfer Window

Please create a thread for your favourite topic.
Gerry557
Lemon Quarter

Transfer Window

Postby Gerry557 » June 18th, 2023, 11:15 am

I note several football players with 12 months left on their contacts are wanted by other clubs.

The clubs risk loosing the player for nowt at that time and could even sign a pre agreement in Jan. Example Harry Kane. Transfer amount listed as £100m and he is coming up to 30 years old.

Now I can understand the selling club wanting as much as possible but common sense is off the scale right now even for football.

At the other end of the scale is all the multi million pound players no longer wanted. Example Harry Maguire. He probably might keep going a couple of years longer.

Chelsea seem to be trying to rid half the team. Mason Mount for £70m, offer so far apparently £40m but might be upped to £50m

It this similar to buying shares? Just wait for the right time even if it takes a year or so. Didn't Buffet say you don't have to swing for every ball but wait for just the right one.

I know it's mainly about the "now" and not the long term. After all 3 teams are going to get relagated this season so the "bad" managers will be getting sacked in a few months time. Looking forward to seeing Big Sam back in football for the last two games.

Maybe he can draft in a few Harry's so close to season end for a couple of Bob.

dealtn
Lemon Half

Re: Transfer Window

Postby dealtn » June 18th, 2023, 3:33 pm

Gerry557 wrote:It this similar to buying shares?

No.

Shares and the stockmarket don't operate to a window. Typically shares won't be a depreciating asset.

Is there a serious question here as I can try and answer it if so?

Gerry557
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gerry557 » June 19th, 2023, 8:22 am

dealtn wrote:
Gerry557 wrote:It this similar to buying shares?

No.

Shares and the stockmarket don't operate to a window. Typically shares won't be a depreciating asset.

Is there a serious question here as I can try and answer it if so?

No dealt, not serious just musing the seamingly stupid situation in the transfer market. It reminded me of investing in Dutch bulbs all those many years ago.

The situation at Manchester United might end up with a rich owner with money to burn but possibly after the window has closed and can't spend it.

The statement "Typically shares won't be a depreciating asset." is another reminder that I chose to invest in Carrillion. Shudda bought a football club :D

Tedx
Lemon Quarter

Postby Tedx » August 14th, 2023, 12:00 pm

All I know about the transfer window is that it always 'slams shut'

That would annoy me if that happened in my house.

In transfer news other than Harry Kane, I see Mbappe is talking to Paris again, but I'd imagine the 259 million smackaroos aren't to far away from both parties minds.

...and I see that Neymar is off to partake in the Arab Pension Top Up plan

Paris St-Germain have agreed a deal to sell Brazil forward Neymar to Saudi Pro League side Al-Hilal for a fee understood to be about 90m euros (£77.6m) plus add-ons.

The transfer is subject to the 31-year-old completing a medical and all necessary paperwork.

Neymar, who joined PSG for a world record fee of 222m euros in 2017, missed the Ligue 1 opener on Saturday.

He has not been made part of coach Luis Enrique's plans for the new season.

He was on £20 odd million at PSG. I can't see him taking a pay cut

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66 ... ory-footer

BBC comment of the day....

He grew up supporting Al-Hilal. Nothing to do with money, the club is in his heart.

Gerry557
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gerry557 » August 14th, 2023, 12:29 pm

I grew up supporting Al-Hilal too :D Well I have if they pay me enough.

Its everything to do with money, I was always in its pocket.

Return to “Sports Bar (all sports)”