Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Anonymous,bruncher,niord,gvonge,Shelford, for Donating to support the site

Anyone been to Antigua?

Holiday Ideas & Foreign Travel
Clitheroekid
Lemon Quarter

Anyone been to Antigua?

Postby Clitheroekid » January 15th, 2023, 11:08 pm

I decided I'd had enough of January, so I've booked a week in Antigua, leaving Thursday. Although I've been to the Caribbean on several occasions I've never been to Antigua, so I just wondered if any fellow Fools had been, and, if so, have they any handy hints?

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Re: Anyone been to Antigua?

Postby redsturgeon » January 16th, 2023, 8:01 am

I went about 10 years ago and stayed at an all inclusive resort called The Verandah (I think). It was very pleasant indeed , the people were very friendly, weather was perfect but the only time we left the resort was to go to feed the Stingrays out on the reef, this was certainly a trip well worth doing.

Enjoy your trip.

John

MaraMan
Lemon Slice

Postby MaraMan » January 16th, 2023, 4:07 pm

I went a few years ago, also to an all inclusive resort. We liked it there.

I am told by a friend's son who is posted there with the Royal Navy that Nelson's Dockyard is worth visiting, if you like that sort of thing.

MM

scrumpyjack
Lemon Quarter

Postby scrumpyjack » January 16th, 2023, 4:20 pm

I went there for a conference in about 1979 so I dare say it has changed somewhat! But very pleasant and famous for its 365 beaches.

WrenChasen
2 Lemon pips

Postby WrenChasen » January 16th, 2023, 7:09 pm

Clitheroekid wrote:I decided I'd had enough of January, so I've booked a week in Antigua, leaving Thursday. Although I've been to the Caribbean on several occasions I've never been to Antigua, so I just wondered if any fellow Fools had been, and, if so, have they any handy hints?

If you're staying at the Admiral's Inn at English Harbour (not to be confused with The Inn on the other side of the harbour) you're in for a real treat...and if not staying there, its Pillar Restaurant comes highly recommended (by me, at least).

Nelson's Dockyard is a UNESCO World Heritage site and well worth visiting. (For me it's a "must see".)

Shirley Heights Lookout is also not to be missed, not least for its historical interest, but also because it has the best views and is an idyllic location for preprandial cocktails.

Antigua is the Caribbean island where I was most struck by the clash of first world luxury and third world poverty; a "no holds barred" tour of the island is an eye-opener, but I'm not sure it's something you'd want to do if you're there for only a week.

Hope you have a lovely holiday.

Return to “Airport Lounge”