Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to bruncher,niord,gvonge,Shelford,GrahamPlatt, for Donating to support the site

A "What if" question.

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
ten0rman
Lemon Slice

A "What if" question.

Postby ten0rman » February 26th, 2022, 10:26 am

As the title suggests, a "What if" question. Pure conjecture, and definitely no politics.

At the moment, my local ITV station is Border TV which used to be headquartered in Carlisle and served Cumbria, S.W. Scotland & the Border region. It is now controlled from Newcastle, I believe as part of Tyne-Tees, but I don't actually know. I do know that the local news, slanted to the Border region, comes from Newcastle.

Now, suppose the SNP got their way and Scotland became an independant nation. What would happen to Border TV? Presumably living in England I would, or perhaps should, lose any need to see Scottish news. In which case would Border TV have to split itself into two groups - one for England & one for Scotland? Which in turn begets the thought "what price Border TV continuing"? In which case would Cumbria be fed from Newcastle as part of Tyne-Tees, or could it possibly be Granada and Manchester?

FWIW, BBC TV comes from Newcastle and is noticeably biased to Newcastle. On the other hand, local news on ITV+1 comes from Granada rather than Newcastle. So theoretically, I could at the moment watch local news from two places!

Incidently, some years ago when we still analogue, I contacted BBC Engineering and explained that I could no longer receive BBC1 Scotland. And got mightily told off for watching a station which "was not meant for me". Needless to say, I said what I thought about that, and finished by saying that if I can receive it, then I will! Between you and me, I never did watch, there being little or no difference between BBC1 Scotland and BBC1 North.

Cheers,

ten0rman

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Re: A "What if" question.

Postby UncleEbenezer » February 26th, 2022, 11:51 am

Being ITV, aren't they funded by adverts rather than that strange BBC funding model?

I don't see why the politics of Scottish independence should affect them. Even if they were partisan about the issue and backed the wrong side, would it really be anything worse than egg on the face? Their audience is still the same people, English, Scots and Guests.

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”