Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to bruncher,niord,gvonge,Shelford,GrahamPlatt, for Donating to support the site

VeraCrypt

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
Dod101
The full Lemon

VeraCrypt

Postby Dod101 » November 5th, 2021, 4:41 pm

This is not quite a new topic but I have a specific question and wonder if someone is able to respond?.

I think it was IAAG who originally recommended it but I have been using TrueCrypt which I now gather has been overtaken by VeraCrypt. I have successfully (I think!) downloaded it and installed it on my new PC. However when I come to place the files I want in to it (whatever the technical expression may be!) I get a message which says Error Incorrect volume size; Source Mount Volume:8431. I Google it and cannot get anywhere with the response. Can anyone help me please?

Dod

Midsmartin
Lemon Slice

Re: VeraCrypt

Postby Midsmartin » November 5th, 2021, 5:12 pm

What have you done so far? Have you created an encrypted partition, either one that appears to be a normal file or an actual partition, and have you mounted the drive so it's visible? How big is it?

Nocton
Lemon Slice

Postby Nocton » November 8th, 2021, 9:05 am

Truecrypt still works perfectly well on my PC.
And it is still available: https://truecrypt.en.softonic.com/

Wikipedia says:
"On 28 May 2014, the TrueCrypt website announced that the project was no longer maintained and recommended users find alternative solutions. Though development of TrueCrypt has ceased, an independent audit of TrueCrypt (published in March 2015) has concluded that no significant flaws are present."

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » November 8th, 2021, 10:19 am

Midsmartin wrote:What have you done so far? Have you created an encrypted partition, either one that appears to be a normal file or an actual partition, and have you mounted the drive so it's visible? How big is it?

Thanks. Your post got lost in other stuff. I do not understand much of this but I have created nothing except followed the detailed instructions I found on a GEEK website and the programme now sits on my PC with the password and so on set up. it was when I try to transfer files into it that I get this message which means nothing to me, and I do not seem to be alone judging by the stuff which appears when I Google it. I do not though understand either the message nor the remedy.

Dod

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » November 8th, 2021, 10:21 am

Nocton wrote:Truecrypt still works perfectly well on my PC.
And it is still available: https://truecrypt.en.softonic.com/

Wikipedia says:
"On 28 May 2014, the TrueCrypt website announced that the project was no longer maintained and recommended users find alternative solutions. Though development of TrueCrypt has ceased, an independent audit of TrueCrypt (published in March 2015) has concluded that no significant flaws are present."

I have just changed PCs and thought I had better future proof it. I am though still using the old Money program and have bodily transferred it to the new PC and I guess I might be able to do the same with TrueCrypt which as you say works perfectly well on my old PC.

Dod

GrahamPlatt
Lemon Quarter

Postby GrahamPlatt » November 8th, 2021, 10:30 am

I am presuming you have a file which you created and mount with Truecrypt, and what you’ve been trying to do is mount this same file with Veracrypt. You can’t. ... https://superuser.com/questions/1210798 ... -container

So create a new file/volume with Veracrypt, open your old TC file with TC, open your new file with VC and transfer the contents of your old file to your new one.

Stompa
Lemon Slice

Postby Stompa » November 8th, 2021, 12:04 pm

GrahamPlatt wrote:I am presuming you have a file which you created and mount with Truecrypt, and what you’ve been trying to do is mount this same file with Veracrypt. You can’t. ... https://superuser.com/questions/1210798 ... -container

You can most of the time. You just have to tick the 'Truecrypt Mode' check box, located just below where you enter the password.

But I agree that transferring everything to a new Veracrypt volume would be a both better and more secure.

GrahamPlatt
Lemon Quarter

Postby GrahamPlatt » November 8th, 2021, 12:33 pm

Stompa wrote:
GrahamPlatt wrote:I am presuming you have a file which you created and mount with Truecrypt, and what you’ve been trying to do is mount this same file with Veracrypt. You can’t. ... https://superuser.com/questions/1210798 ... -container

You can most of the time. You just have to tick the 'Truecrypt Mode' check box, located just below where you enter the password.

But I agree that transferring everything to a new Veracrypt volume would be a both better and more secure.

Yes, the link has differing opinions, some say you can, some can’t. I’m going to argue that my “You can’t” refers specifically to Dod1, and not (as might thought) to everyone. But I was not aware of the checkbox, so thanks.

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”