Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to bruncher,niord,gvonge,Shelford,GrahamPlatt, for Donating to support the site

Old-fashioned Monitor and plug problem

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
Jonetc15
Lemon Slice

Old-fashioned Monitor and plug problem

Postby Jonetc15 » December 18th, 2021, 12:22 pm

I have a Dell PC and monitor, roughly 10 years old. The monitor is connected to the PC with an old-fashioned plug with two rows of pins, and screws at each end to screw into the rear of the PC.

For many years I have had a problem with the monitor's power cable with a three pin plug. It's vertical and constantly loosens and disconnects. It can take an age to jiggle it and get power to the monitor which keeps disconnecting. So here are my problems:

1. I wonder if anyone can tell me the name of this type of power cable and plug (and whether I’ll get another one online).

2. If not, I would like to buy another monitor, but I doubt whether I'll be able to find one with the pins-and-screws plug for my PC.

3. I can’t work out whether I can get a new monitor that will simply plug-in to a USB on my old PC instead.

Very many thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Jon

GrahamPlatt
Lemon Quarter

Re: Old-fashioned Monitor and plug problem

Postby GrahamPlatt » December 18th, 2021, 12:36 pm

Can’t understand what you mean about the power cable, but if you elect to get a new monitor, this might help https://shop.pimoroni.com/products/rasp ... -converter

(I doubt that the USB port(s) on your PC are for video output).

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Postby kempiejon » December 18th, 2021, 12:37 pm

Jonetc15 wrote:I have a Dell PC and monitor, roughly 10 years old. The monitor is connected to the PC with an old-fashioned plug with two rows of pins, and screws at each end to screw into the rear of the PC.

Are you sure it has 2 rows of pins rather than 3? If 3 rows of 5 then it's a VGA connector. 2 rows of 4 and 5 pins is a serial port and not usually a video cable.
3 pin vga although older technology is still out there. For example https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/174849562468 ... 4024887362

GrahamPlatt
Lemon Quarter

Postby GrahamPlatt » December 18th, 2021, 12:39 pm

Yes, as kempiejon says, I am assuming your video output is VGA.

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » December 18th, 2021, 12:40 pm

The power cable sounds like an IEC female cable (or "kettle lead")

The video cable sounds like VGA and there are plenty of adapters for that to plug in to various computer video ports.

USB is possible as a video source from a PC to monitor
- more common with a modern USB C port but still unlikely as the typical way to connect video (aside from second screens for laptops that only have it as an option)

Most monitors will support a variety of inputs - most modern computers will have a variety of outputs
- the trick if you're replacing your monitor is to find out what your computer can provide and get a monitor (and cabling) to match

-sd

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » December 18th, 2021, 12:42 pm

Jonetc15 wrote:1. I wonder if anyone can tell me the name of this type of power cable and plug (and whether I’ll get another one online).

Jon

Ten years isn't old! Your pins and screws may be what they call VGA, and you probably have a choice of monitor connections that'll include HDMI, which gives you a range of options (and you can get converter cables at a price).

If the power cable is what I think you're talking about, you should have no problem getting a new one. If you lack confidence to order online, take the old one to a shop and let the assistant find the right one for you. But are you sure it's the cable that's at fault, rather than the connection in the monitor itself?

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » December 18th, 2021, 12:58 pm

I think the power plug is a Schuko, like this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/275061011815?hash=item400ae9f567:g:SKYAAOSwn3te-eLQ

As Uncle suggests, unusual for them to be faulty.

V8

Boots
2 Lemon pips

Postby Boots » December 18th, 2021, 1:47 pm

Here's another image that may be easier for you to compare.

You can google "kettle lead power cable" and you will come up with many, many options.

Stompa
Lemon Slice

Postby Stompa » December 18th, 2021, 1:56 pm

88V8 wrote:I think the power plug is a Schuko, like this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/275061011815?hash=item400ae9f567:g:SKYAAOSwn3te-eLQ

You had me puzzled there, as I've never heard of 'Schuko'. I think that refers to the other end of the lead you linked to:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schuko

so is not relevant here.

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » December 18th, 2021, 2:41 pm

Boots wrote:Here's another image that may be easier for you to compare.

You can google "kettle lead power cable" and you will come up with many, many options.

But NOT a "kettle lead", which is a more expensive type of high temperature IEC plug & lead, designed for... kettles.

Please forget about "kettles" in this matter. It will just be a bog standard IEC plug and lead.

(An IEC "kettle lead" will fit a standard IEC male socket, but a standard IEC lead will not fit an IEC male "kettle" socket)

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » December 18th, 2021, 2:56 pm

Most kettles these days don't use kettle leads :-)

Scott.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » December 18th, 2021, 5:22 pm

swill453 wrote:Most kettles these days don't use kettle leads :-)

Scott.

Mine does.

It was new in the late 1990s, when kettles without a lead masquerading as some silly tray were still widely available.

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » December 18th, 2021, 5:33 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:

Mine does.

It was new in the late 1990s, when kettles without a lead masquerading as some silly tray were still widely available.

I said "these days", and you bring up a 25 year old antique! :roll:

Scott.

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » December 18th, 2021, 8:02 pm

swill453 wrote:
UncleEbenezer wrote:

Mine does.

I said "these days", and you bring up a 25 year old antique!

Waddya mean, antique ;)
Our kettle is 46 years old - Russel Hobbs K2 - and it's not antique and it doesn't use one of those leads. It has a big fat round thing.

Stompa wrote:
88V8 wrote:I think the power plug is a Schuko, like this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/275061011815?hash=item400ae9f567:g:SKYAAOSwn3te-eLQ

You had me puzzled there, as I've never heard of 'Schuko'. I think that refers to the other end of the lead you linked to

Dang. In the noughties I worked for three years in a factory making, oddly enough, PCR machines, and those leads were always referred to as a Schuko.
OK, well that's me told ;)

V8

Stompa
Lemon Slice

Postby Stompa » December 18th, 2021, 8:23 pm

88V8 wrote:Dang. In the noughties I worked for three years in a factory making, oddly enough, PCR machines, and those leads were always referred to as a Schuko.

Are you sure they didn't have a Schuko plug on the other end?

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Postby BobbyD » December 18th, 2021, 10:53 pm

Jonetc15 wrote:I have a Dell PC and monitor, roughly 10 years old. The monitor is connected to the PC with an old-fashioned plug with two rows of pins, and screws at each end to screw into the rear of the PC.

For many years I have had a problem with the monitor's power cable with a three pin plug. It's vertical and constantly loosens and disconnects. It can take an age to jiggle it and get power to the monitor which keeps disconnecting. So here are my problems:

1. I wonder if anyone can tell me the name of this type of power cable and plug (and whether I’ll get another one online).

2. If not, I would like to buy another monitor, but I doubt whether I'll be able to find one with the pins-and-screws plug for my PC.

3. I can’t work out whether I can get a new monitor that will simply plug-in to a USB on my old PC instead.

Very many thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Jon

A model number for the PC would make this a cinch to answer.

Does the PC have more than one Graphics output socket?

USB is unlikely to be your best choice of connector.

The important plug if you are replacing the monitor (which sounds like a good idea) is the one on the PC not the one on the monitor. it's not a given that they are the same.

Surely it can't be EGA? Does it look like this:

- https://www.kenable.co.uk/en/computer-c ... 73281.html

On the off chance the PC port has 3 rows of pins not 2 it's quite likely to llook like one of these, in which case things should be easy:

or this:

- (both) https://www.google.com/search?q=vga+plu ... 6K4xfsl_7M

Kettle lead may not be what they arfe called, but it's what people call them...

gryffron
Lemon Quarter

Postby gryffron » December 19th, 2021, 11:09 am

1) The D shaped 3 pin mains connector is called an IEC cable. A replacement cable will cost a couple of quid from ebay/amazon.
2) Yes you will. Older types are still available. But either give us monitor or PC model numbers, or pictures of the connectors before you buy, as not all types are compatible with each other.
3) You can get USB connected monitors, but they're slow even for Office app use, and WAY too slow for video or gaming. Not recommended. USB3 is ok for video, but unlikely on a 10yo machine.

If jiggling your power cable causes it to disconnect, then throw the cable away, IMMEDIATELY. And don't use it. Arcing within the cable could cause a fire.

If it is the d-shaped IEC connector at the monitor end you have to jiggle, problem may be the socket on the monitor itself, rather than the cable. Maybe you have an old kettle cable you could try it with? Or borrow/blag one from IT dept at work? IEC cables are still common on industrial or workshop equipment. Used to be common on kettles. But rare on household kit these days.

Gryff

Jonetc15
Lemon Slice

Postby Jonetc15 » December 19th, 2021, 4:29 pm

gryffron wrote:1) The D shaped 3 pin mains connector is called an IEC cable. A replacement cable will cost a couple of quid from ebay/amazon.
2) Yes you will. Older types are still available. But either give us monitor or PC model numbers, or pictures of the connectors before you buy, as not all types are compatible with each other.
3) You can get USB connected monitors, but they're slow even for Office app use, and WAY too slow for video or gaming. Not recommended. USB3 is ok for video, but unlikely on a 10yo machine.

If jiggling your power cable causes it to disconnect, then throw the cable away, IMMEDIATELY. And don't use it. Arcing within the cable could cause a fire.

If it is the d-shaped IEC connector at the monitor end you have to jiggle, problem may be the socket on the monitor itself, rather than the cable. Maybe you have an old kettle cable you could try it with? Or borrow/blag one from IT dept at work? IEC cables are still common on industrial or workshop equipment. Used to be common on kettles. But rare on household kit these days.

Gryff

FIRST OF ALL THE EXCELLENT NEWS – SUCCESS!

A new IEC plug has arrived and it’s a snug fit and my monitor works. Quite incredible that in the space of literally 24 hours I should have been given advice, ordered the plug and have it delivered and my monitor working.

VERY MANY THANKS INDEED for all of your replies and comments. I’ll just answer a few:

Kemplejon – quite right, of course, to suggest that there are three (not two) rows of pins.

Boots – your pic helped enormously, as did comments by XFool et al. I enjoyed the debate about kettles…

BobbyD
– your pics and comments completed the visual explanations.

Gryff – you referred back to my original post with its three numbered questions to which you gave numbered replies and a comment.

I’m really grateful for all the time and trouble that everyone took to comment, advise, debate and help, including illustrations.

Season’s most heartfelt greetings to all of you and other TLF friends.

Jon

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » December 19th, 2021, 6:44 pm

Jonetc15 wrote:1. I wonder if anyone can tell me the name of this type of power cable and plug (and whether I’ll get another one online).

Power cable: Everybody here has got a drawerful of the damn things! I certainly have. Absolutely bog standard. Ask your friends and family. They're not model-specific, any cable will work on anything. (At least, as far as lowish-load items like a monitor are concerned. Cables for electric fires might be a little more muscular. :lol: )

Pins and screws plug: I assume you're saying that most monitors these days are set up for HDMI instead of VGA? You can get adaptor cables for a couple of quid that will bridge the gap.

BJ

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » December 19th, 2021, 6:46 pm

bungeejumper wrote:

Power cable: Everybody here has got a drawerful of the damn things! I certainly have. Absolutely bog standard. Ask your friends and family. They're not model-specific, any cable will work on anything.

But not on a "kettle". :twisted:

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”