Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Shelford,GrahamPlatt,gpadsa,Steffers0,lansdown, for Donating to support the site

Yahoo are driving me mad!

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Yahoo are driving me mad!

Postby Bouleversee » October 31st, 2023, 3:53 pm

I have had an email account with Yahoo for many years but have run into problems with them recently. I have an adblocker on my account which they don't like and want me to subscribe to something similar with them (Go ad. free with Y! Mail), though I have no details and don't know whether it is free or not. Unless I do, they don't let me see the full text of each line of incoming emails (which I can get around by clicking on 'reply' or 'forward') but now, when I type an email there is no "send" button at the bottom to click on and there doesn't seem to be any way round that. This is wasting a lot of my time (which is more than fully occupied) and stressing me out. Are they really allowed to mess people around like this? Who can I complain to?

Microsoft Bing's Chatbot is also driving me bonkers, interrupting whenever I am searching for something and wanting me to play games. No wonder I am getting further and further behind with everything and no nearer to getting my affairs in order.

Redmires
Lemon Slice

Re: Yahoo are driving me mad!

Postby Redmires » October 31st, 2023, 5:26 pm

I moved across to Thunderbird a couple of years ago and never looked back. It handles my 4 yahoo email accounts just fine. On my android phone I use K-9 mail, which is a Mozilla product. Both free of course and no yahoo rubbish or ads etc.

https://www.thunderbird.net/en-GB/

https://k9mail.app/

Easy to set up, just needs your email address and password.

GoSeigen
Lemon Quarter

Postby GoSeigen » October 31st, 2023, 7:00 pm

How much are you paying to use Yahoo! mail? Perhaps if you demand a refund of a couple of month's subscription it will concentrate their minds?

I pay around £100 a year for my email service and have rarely had reason to complain and the customer service is very responsive. No ads on the webmail either.

GS

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » October 31st, 2023, 7:24 pm

GoSeigen wrote:How much are you paying to use Yahoo! mail? Perhaps if you demand a refund of a couple of month's subscription it will concentrate their minds?

I pay around £100 a year for my email service and have rarely had reason to complain and the customer service is very responsive. No ads on the webmail either.

You always pay, one way or the other. So with yahoo it is blatant ads. Gmail is ad-free and much slicker, but of course it is spying on you.

But we are conditioned to think that email is one of those things that should be free, if only in return for being sucked into the provider's ecosystem.

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » November 1st, 2023, 3:44 pm

Lootman wrote:
GoSeigen wrote:How much are you paying to use Yahoo! mail? Perhaps if you demand a refund of a couple of month's subscription it will concentrate their minds?

You always pay, one way or the other. So with yahoo it is blatant ads. Gmail is ad-free and much slicker, but of course it is spying on you.

But we are conditioned to think that email is one of those things that should be free, if only in return for being sucked into the provider's ecosystem.

Go Seigen: I'm not paying anything but then I never have in all the years I've been with them. How does one communicate with them?

Lootman: What do you mean by "Gmail is spying on you". Aren't they all?

I've just w9ken up to the fact that if I type an email on my Yahoo a/c on my laptop but can't send it because Yahoo have removed the "send" button and x out of it so it gets saved in "drafts", I can then access it on my tablet and send it from there, till Yahoo wake up to that and remove "send" on that as well. I suppose that's because I don't have an adblocker on that. I prefer to type messages on my laptop which stays in my upstairs office so I'll have to remember to take the tablet upstairs as well. I suppose I could just cancel the adblocker. I never read ads so it is all so pointless and I find it hard to believe that Yahoo can legally be allowed to allow me to type an email and then not allow me to send it. I wonder at what level of management such action is approved.

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Postby ReformedCharacter » November 1st, 2023, 4:59 pm

Bouleversee wrote:I have had an email account with Yahoo for many years but have run into problems with them recently. I have an adblocker on my account which they don't like and want me to subscribe to something similar with them (Go ad. free with Y! Mail), though I have no details and don't know whether it is free or not. Unless I do, they don't let me see the full text of each line of incoming emails (which I can get around by clicking on 'reply' or 'forward') but now, when I type an email there is no "send" button at the bottom to click on and there doesn't seem to be any way round that. This is wasting a lot of my time (which is more than fully occupied) and stressing me out. Are they really allowed to mess people around like this? Who can I complain to?

Microsoft Bing's Chatbot is also driving me bonkers, interrupting whenever I am searching for something and wanting me to play games. No wonder I am getting further and further behind with everything and no nearer to getting my affairs in order.

Which adblocker are you using? Having had a quick Google I can see that Yahoo email users have been having problems with their email when using an adblocker for years, it might be worth removing your current adblocker and trying Ublock if you are not using that already. BTW most adblockers allow you to 'whitelist' an individual site (Yahoo email, in your case) if that would be acceptable to you.

Here are some instructions for disabling the very annoying Bing AI:

https://ugetfix.com/ask/how-to-remove-b ... soft-edge/

You might find option 2 easiest. Alternatively you could try another browser instead of Edge. Chrome and Firefox are pretty good.

RC

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » November 1st, 2023, 5:25 pm

Bouleversee wrote:
I've just w9ken up to the fact that if I type an email on my Yahoo a/c on my laptop but can't send it because Yahoo have removed the "send" button

They haven't removed it on mine. The email itself opens in a scrolling frame, and along the bottom is a big blue 'send' icon, alongsite the ones for attaching a file, plus a a few other things I've never looked at before now which are for GIFs, emojis, and formatting

The left column is about 15% of the screen and is the folder list, then the email, and on the right is a column that usually contains adverts even though I use adblock. Sometimes the ads are for yahoo+ paid email, other times for clothes, at the moment they seem to think I'm interested in going to Sharm el Sheik. There is a left arrowhead halfway down the side which I can click to expand the email window and the ads go away.

In your initial post you said you "had an adblocker on your account", presumably you mean you've installed it as an add-on to you web browser, although that shouldn't affect the functionality of the webmail.

I just looked online and it appears a not uncommon problem but is related to the browser setup rather than Yahoo itself.

I find it hard to believe that Yahoo can legally be allowed to allow me to type an email and then not allow me to send it. I wonder at what level of management such action is approved

I think you'll find Yahoo are legally allowed to do pretty much what they want with the free account they are providing you :)

Paul

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » November 1st, 2023, 10:41 pm

Thanks for all contributions. I use Ublock which permits me to read messages from Sainsbury's telling me about Nectar prices and the like.
As regards the send button. it used to be at the bottom of the page but now I can't get down far enough to see and access it, just as it won't let me see the entire width of incoming messages.

Having recently hit 87 and with limited internet experience and so many other things to deal with, I resent the time wastage this gives rise to. Too exhausted to do any more about it tonight. Will try another browser tomorrow,

I

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » November 1st, 2023, 10:57 pm

Bouleversee wrote:Having recently hit 87 . . .

Congratulations. Other than Terry (90?) you might just be "Most Senior Lemon", which surely should be an anointed category of Lemon, complete with conferred privileges.

Plenty of good years ahead. The lady who lived next door to me until very recently is still going strong and will be 100 in 2024.

Her secret? She is feisty, fierce, ferocious and nobody's fool.

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » November 2nd, 2023, 9:30 am

Bouleversee wrote:As regards the send button. it used to be at the bottom of the page but now I can't get down far enough to see and access it, just as it won't let me see the entire width of incoming messages.
I

Do you use a mouse or the touchpad?

Recent versions of Winows have reduced that lovely wide permanent scroll bar to a wafer thin slightly greyed ribbon, along with many of the other features needed to navigate embedded windows.

The other issue could be if you are using the screen at larger than 100% or have switched on some of the accesibility aids that enlarge the icons and text which means the send button is now off the botton of the screen. I've just spent quite a while trying to replicate your problem, and whilst altering the scale the 'SEND' button stays in place, changing the text size over 160% generates the issues you describe. To get these you need to click on the bottom lext search box, type 'settings' and click on the cogwheel icon labelled settings. That takes you into a list of things you can change and on of thos is Accessibility, and in there you can customise text size, mouse pointer and speed, etc etc.

The last option I can think of is if you have somehow managed to change the resolution of your screen so that the webpage no longer fully fits on the screen.

I use a mouse most of the time on my tablet, the scroll wheel is invaluable for moving though long pages when the designer decides to nest scrolling boxes within other scrolling boxes (I'm looking at you here, ii).

hope this helps

Paul

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » November 2nd, 2023, 9:46 am

If it's a zoom issue in the web page just hold the CTRL key down and scroll with the mouse wheel or press the - key to reduce the zoom scale.
I run some of my web pages at 80-90% to get them to display fully.

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » November 2nd, 2023, 10:01 am

DrFfybes wrote:Recent versions of Winows have reduced that lovely wide permanent scroll bar to a wafer thin slightly greyed ribbon, along with many of the other features needed to navigate embedded windows.

The width of scrollbars can be changed via the Registry Editor. https://www.top-password.com/blog/change-scrollbar-width-in-windows/

For the ones that disappear and turn into a wafer thin line unless you are directly over them:

Settings -> Ease of Access -> Display (should come up by default) and set Automatically hide scroll bars in Windows to Off.

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » November 2nd, 2023, 10:26 am

The other thing that can sometimes quickly solve missing bits of web pages - especially at the bottom - is to hit full screen.
F11 function button on my W10 PC or the full screen icon function button on my Chromebook.

Lanark
Lemon Quarter

Postby Lanark » November 2nd, 2023, 12:23 pm

Bouleversee wrote:
Lootman: What do you mean by "Gmail is spying on you". Aren't they all?

ProtonMail are one of the few privacy focussed email providers, they have free and paid levels.

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » November 2nd, 2023, 12:36 pm

https://www.privacytools.io/privacy-email

Best Privacy Email Accounts & Clients in 2023
Discover the best privacy-focused email accounts and clients to keep your communications safe and secure. Protect your sensitive data with top-notch encryption and security features. Learn more.
Cont.

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » November 2nd, 2023, 1:07 pm

I use a mouse on my laptop which is where I am having the problems. I'm not aware of having altered anything and the type size is quite small. The fact that if I click on an arrow on the right to try and see the whole lines of incoming messages, the following comes up: "Want more room to view your messages? Go ad free with Yahoo+!" suggests that it is a deliberate action on their part. It seems to me that they are just trying different things to force me into subscribing to an adblocking service of their own. There was another one today: The x logout symbol wasn't visible at the top right of the page until I pressed the "maximise" symbol. I've just typed a short email to see if the send button had reappeared as a result and it had so I was able to send the message. Interesting! I still can't see the whole lines of ADVFN's Daily Markets Bulletin, however, but I can get round that. My scrollbar seems reasonably thick, btw.

Thank you all for your contributions. I have to confess that being only semi-literate when it comes to computers, I didn't understand them all so will try to get someone in if I have further problems.

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » November 2nd, 2023, 1:24 pm

Bouleversee wrote:...The fact that if I click on an arrow on the right to try and see the whole lines of incoming messages, the following comes up: "Want more room to view your messages? Go ad free with Yahoo+!" suggests that it is a deliberate action on their part...

Does look like it - unfortunately many of the big players are doing the same thing at the moment, you may have seen the YouTube thread where YT are getting feisty about people using ad blockers and are trying to force them into paying a monthly subscription for 'ad free' (which actually aren't 100% ad free on some platforms...).

There are ways around your Yahoo problem but it depends on how much time and energy you want to give it because as you freely admit your technical abilities are limited.

The simplest options are to use a desktop email client to sync with your Yahoo email, or another online email service like Gmail can do a similar thing. Or auto-forward your Yahoo email to another email address with a different service provider. Forwarded Yahoo email will preserve ARC so shouldn't run into any issues with being spam foldered by the receive end due to authentication being stripped out.

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”