Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Anonymous,bruncher,niord,gvonge,Shelford, for Donating to support the site

Edinburgh Investment Trust PLC (EDIN) - Half-year Report.

Closed-end funds and OEICs
idpickering
The full Lemon

Edinburgh Investment Trust PLC (EDIN) - Half-year Report.

Postby idpickering » November 21st, 2023, 7:49 am

Highlights:

· Net Asset Value (NAV) per share (with debt at fair value) on a total return basis increased by 4.5% compared to the 1.4% return on the FTSE All-Share Index

· The share price total return was 3.3%

· First interim dividend declared on 25 October 2023, up 4.7% from the same period in 2022, at 6.7p per share

· Net gearing (debt at fair value) at 30 September 2023 of 4.1%

· Share price discount to NAV moved from 7.5% to 8.7% in the six months to 30 September 2023

· Since James de Uphaugh became Manager of the Company in March 2020, the cumulative NAV return of 73.3% and the share price return of 81.2% have outperformed the FTSE All-Share return of 49.5 (all in total return terms)

https://www.investegate.co.uk/announcem ... rt/7893059

Ian (No holding).

richfool
Lemon Quarter

Re: Edinburgh Investment Trust PLC (EDIN)

Postby richfool » January 24th, 2024, 9:45 am

Edinburgh second dividend declaration:

Dividend Declaration
Edinburgh Investment Trust PLC
24 January 2024
The Edinburgh Investment Trust plc

Declaration of second interim dividend LEI: 549300HV0VXCRONER808

The Directors of The Edinburgh Investment Trust plc announce that they have declared a second interim dividend for the year ending 31 March 2024 of 6.7 pence per ordinary share (2023: 6.4p). The dividend is payable on 23 February 2024 to Ordinary Shareholders on the register on 2 February 2024. The shares will be quoted ex-dividend on 1 February 2024.

The Company's proposed dividend schedule for the current financial year may be viewed at the Company's website: http://www.edinburgh-investment-trust.co.uk

https://www.investegate.co.uk/announcem ... on/8003264

I hold EDIN.

monabri
Lemon Half

Re: Edinburgh Investment Trust PLC (EDIN) - Half-year Report.

Postby monabri » January 24th, 2024, 10:06 am

A slow recovery in dividend growth ( currently a negative 5yr rate)

https://www.theaic.co.uk/companydata/ed ... /dividends

Revenue Reserves are looking ok.

richfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby richfool » January 24th, 2024, 11:23 am

monabri wrote:A slow recovery in dividend growth ( currently a negative 5yr rate)

Note there was a change of manager about 4 years ago. I bought in more recently as I like the holdings, which I see as having reasonable growth prospects and not over-reaching for yield..

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » January 24th, 2024, 11:37 am

richfool wrote:
monabri wrote:A slow recovery in dividend growth ( currently a negative 5yr rate)

Note there was a change of manager about 4 years ago. I bought in more recently as I like the holdings, which I see as having reasonable growth prospects and not over-reaching for yield..

Top 10 holdings from the AIC link - I only hold HSBA. I wouldn't normally buy Tesco, MKS,NatWest..Centrica. I wish I'd bought Ashtead!

Padders72
Lemon Slice

Postby Padders72 » January 24th, 2024, 12:03 pm

I have a modest holding, am I missing some significance of this announcement? This will be the 4th 6.7p dividend in a row so not exactly a surprise.

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » January 24th, 2024, 12:19 pm

Over my holding period, which is from 2009, CTY divdends have increased 50%, and EDIN 19%.

On the other hand, EDIN has better reserves, so take your choice! For such reasons, I tend to collect several ITs where others have on;y one.

Arb.

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » January 24th, 2024, 1:19 pm

Total Return over 5 years:
Edinburgh Investment Trust 34.1%
City of London 29.0%
HSBC FTSE All Share Index Fund 29.3%
Edinburgh Investment Trust has been a bit more volatile, performing poorly over the first two years of this 5 year period, then catching up and out performing over the last 3 years. City of London has closely matched the All Share Index throughout.
My choice over the 5 years (in the UK) has been Finsbury Growth and Income Trust, which surprisingly has been less volatile, but has only achieved a total return of 20.2%.
However as we are all probably well aware, the world has substantially out performed the UK. A developed world tracker (VEVE), which I hold , has returned 75.6% over the past 5 years. Will it ever change?
(Data from Hargreaves Lansdown)

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » January 24th, 2024, 4:55 pm

scotia wrote:Total Return over 5 years:
Edinburgh Investment Trust 34.1%
City of London 29.0%
HSBC FTSE All Share Index Fund 29.3%
Edinburgh Investment Trust has been a bit more volatile, performing poorly over the first two years of this 5 year period, then catching up and out performing over the last 3 years. City of London has closely matched the All Share Index throughout.
My choice over the 5 years (in the UK) has been Finsbury Growth and Income Trust, which surprisingly has been less volatile, but has only achieved a total return of 20.2%.
However as we are all probably well aware, the world has substantially out performed the UK. A developed world tracker (VEVE), which I hold , has returned 75.6% over the past 5 years. Will it ever change?
(Data from Hargreaves Lansdown)

Funnily enough, I've also taken a small holding in VEV, which I may well increase. As regards my own EDIN and CTY holdings: they are both almost the same size, and since 2009 the TR is EDIN, 8.1%, CTY 7.3%. Not much between them - at least, not so much that one could have predicted back then, which one would come out of top! CTY has delivered considerably more income and that's what I need.

richfool
Lemon Quarter

Re: Edinburgh Investment Trust PLC (EDIN)

Postby richfool » Yesterday, 3:00 pm

Final Results
Edinburgh Investment Trust PLC
28 May 2024

The Edinburgh Investment Trust plc

ANNUAL FINANCIAL REPORT

FOR THE YEAR ENDED 31 MARCH 2024

28 May 2024 - The Directors of the Edinburgh Investment Trust plc ("the Company") have today announced the annual results for the year ended 31 March 2024.

Highlights

· Net asset value ("NAV") per share (with debt at fair value) on a total return basis increased by 13.4%, exceeding the 8.4% return on the FTSE All-Share Index. The share price total return was 8.9%

· Final dividend proposed of 6.9p per share. Dividends for the financial year +3.8% compared with the previous year, equivalent to a yield of 3.9%

· Net gearing at 31 March 2024 of 3.1%, compared with 4.7% in the previous year

· New fee agreed with the Manager, resulting in a pro-forma 11% reduction in the annual management fee

· Despite positive performance, share price discount to NAV widened to 11.5% from 7.5% reflecting widening discounts in the sector

Elisabeth Stheeman, Chair, said: "When comparing the Company's performance against its two key objectives - increasing the NAV per share in excess of the FTSE All-Share Index and growth in dividends per share in excess of inflation - the year to 31 March 2024 has been a positive one. The NAV total return rose by 13.4% compared to 8.4% for the index. Despite the challenging backdrop for UK equities, a double digit return for the Company is an excellent outcome. Dividends are set to rise this year by 3.8%, compared with CPI inflation of 3.2%.

"This year has also seen an internal change of the Liontrust portfolio management team - from James de Uphaugh and Chris Field to Imran Sattar and Emily Barnard. The Board would like to express their sincere thanks to James and Chris and wish them well in their retirement. The Board is equally excited to have Imran and Emily in place as the new management team.

"Many UK equity market constituents in the Company's portfolio continue to stand at a valuation discount to their international peers. These valuation anomalies are being exploited by the companies themselves, through share buy backs and also from time to time by takeovers by third parties. Whether through these types of actions or through greater demand for UK equities over time, the Company is well placed to continue to meet its key objectives and generate attractive returns for shareholders."

Imran Sattar, Portfolio Manager, said: "It is a great honour to take over as the management team of the Company. Emily and I were fortunate to work closely with James and Chris, and we look forward to building on the strong foundations and excellent track record that they put in place.

"UK equities are out of fashion, for a host of well-rehearsed reasons. Quite what the catalyst for an improvement in fortunes will be is hard to say, but strong businesses generating attractive returns don't go unnoticed for long. We believe the UK equity market offers a compelling universe of businesses at attractive valuations. Further, some of the very best investment opportunities arise when sentiment is poor. It strikes us that we are in one of those times now.

"Over the financial year, a diversified set of stocks has driven the portfolio's excess returns. Key outperformers included Marks & Spencer, BAE Systems and Centrica. These three stocks are all excellent examples of businesses that were purchased when out of favour, and which have enjoyed significant share price appreciation as their operating models have improved.

"We are mindful of changing expectations for the path of interest rate normalisation, as inflation remains more entrenched than expected. This period of heightened monetary policy uncertainty coincides with a period of elevated geopolitical risks - making a flexible and pragmatic approach important. We expect risks to remain high, with 2024 seeing a significant number of elections globally - most notably the US, India, and the UK. China continues to face growth headwinds as the economy seeks to transition from investment-led to consumption-led growth.

"With the elevated uncertainty, our focus remains on owning businesses where growth is helped by exposure to structural growth tailwinds, or where there is a change in industry structure or company strategy which will enable future profit growth. Our confidence in the portfolio comes from owning strong businesses, managed by intelligent management teams executing on their business plans to drive total shareholder growth."

Note key performers:
PORTFOLIO RETURNS AND ATTRIBUTION

The portfolio that James and Chris had in place this time last year has delivered a fourth consecutive year of NAV outperformance. Over the financial year, a diversified set of stocks - in keeping with the aim of the investment process - has driven the portfolio's excess returns. Key outperformers included Marks & Spencer (Retailers), BAE Systems (Aerospace and Defence) and Centrica (Gas, Water and Multi-Utilities). These three stocks are all excellent examples of businesses that were purchased when out of favour, and which have enjoyed significant share price appreciation as their operating models have been restructured and improved. All remained prominent holdings at the year end. Other significant contributors to excess returns came from avoiding large index constituents whose share prices fell, such as Diageo (Alcoholic Beverages), Reckitt Benckiser (Consumer Goods), Prudential (insurance) and British American Tobacco.

On the negative ledger, the holdings in Anglo American (Industrial Metals and Mining) and RS (Industrial Support Services) were weaker, making them the two largest stock-specific headwinds. We also missed out on two index constituents that performed well, namely Rolls-Royce (Engineering/Aerospace) and RELX (Media).

https://www.investegate.co.uk/announcem ... ts/8224097

I hold EDIN, along with LWDB, DIG and SHRS in the same sector.

Return to “Investment Trusts and Unit Trusts”