Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to bruncher,niord,gvonge,Shelford,GrahamPlatt, for Donating to support the site

Japan

Index tracking funds and ETFs
GoSeigen
Lemon Quarter

Japan

Postby GoSeigen » May 17th, 2023, 8:23 pm

I've started building a currency-hedged long Japanese equity position using spreadbets but was wondering if anyone can recommend an ETF that does the same thing. Preferably a Nikkei index tracker denominated in GBP and fairly liquid. This is to take a view on Japan facing an inflation problem, hence the requirement to hedge.

Thanks.

GS

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Re: Japan

Postby mc2fool » May 18th, 2023, 10:13 am

Not a recommendation per se, but on a look on the iShares site, IJPH - iShares MSCI Japan GBP Hedged UCITS ETF (Acc) maybe?

1nvest
Lemon Quarter

Postby 1nvest » June 1st, 2023, 7:05 pm

GoSeigen wrote:I've started building a currency-hedged long Japanese equity position using spreadbets but was wondering if anyone can recommend an ETF that does the same thing. Preferably a Nikkei index tracker denominated in GBP and fairly liquid. This is to take a view on Japan facing an inflation problem, hence the requirement to hedge.

Thanks.

GS

Japan restricts migration, has a shrinking and ageing population such that inflation pressures are relatively lower. The State also controls/limits price rises, that for instance stabalise energy costs i.e. companies/businesses tend to agree to long term fixed rate contracts, so much less of the issues that UK companies have had to endure through such hikes. It imports wheat through a government organisation, that fixes prices for six months at a time, which helps to dilute food price inflation. Unions are also more focused upon job security/benefits than that of higher wages. It's central bank also pretty much buys up all of the debt the Treasury issue, and a domestic held debt isn't really a issue, its just a internal money (re)distribution matter.

Just saying. I would have thought that if anything the Yen could relatively strengthen. Strengthened from around 360 Yen per USD in the 1970's to 240 in the 1980's, 120 in the 1990's but has remained at around that level since. In contrast their good governance has the mirror reflection in the UK (bad governance), such that the Pound relative to USD moved in the complete opposite direction. I don't see any turn-around in that, UK governance if anything looks set to become even worse (SKS as PM = even less stability than the shaky/rapidly often-changed practices/policies we already see in the UK).

hokkaidobear

Postby hokkaidobear » June 3rd, 2023, 3:21 am

The only issue that could impact Japan in a large way is Taiwan

GoSeigen
Lemon Quarter

Postby GoSeigen » June 3rd, 2023, 11:22 am

hokkaidobear wrote:The only issue that could impact Japan in a large way is Taiwan

Tell us more...

GS

NotSure
Lemon Slice

Postby NotSure » June 3rd, 2023, 9:15 pm

GoSeigen wrote:I've started building a currency-hedged long Japanese equity position using spreadbets but was wondering if anyone can recommend an ETF that does the same thing. Preferably a Nikkei index tracker denominated in GBP and fairly liquid. This is to take a view on Japan facing an inflation problem, hence the requirement to hedge.

Thanks.

GS

Out of interest, is this strategy a purely hedged bet on the Nikkei, or at least in part a short of the yen? I am intrigued you think Japan will face an inflation problem. They have been trying to achieve this for decades with almost zero effect. By Japanese standards, inflation has kicked off a bit of late, but outside of UK, inflation seems to headed back down?

GoSeigen
Lemon Quarter

Postby GoSeigen » June 5th, 2023, 8:08 am

NotSure wrote:

Thanks.

GS

Out of interest, is this strategy a purely hedged bet on the Nikkei, or at least in part a short of the yen? I am intrigued you think Japan will face an inflation problem. They have been trying to achieve this for decades with almost zero effect. By Japanese standards, inflation has kicked off a bit of late, but outside of UK, inflation seems to headed back down?

If you want a feel for my thinking and what's going on in my mind it's here. Enjoy!

GS

spasmodicus
Lemon Slice

Postby spasmodicus » June 11th, 2023, 4:28 pm

GoSeigen wrote:If you want a feel for my thinking and what's going on in my mind it's here. Enjoy!

GS

Ho ho GS, not being a private equity fund manager, I wouldn't know why one of those (male, female or LGBTQ) would find a woman with three arms unattractive. She would seem to me to have certain possibilities. Be that as it may, we still don't actually know whether the inverted yield curve is indicative of anything at all. Having not owned any treasuries or gilts for some time I was beginning to think it might be worth parking the spare cash in some T24s so that I would at least get 5% or so on it over the next year or so, irrespective of which way inflation goes in the UK. There's not really a lot else one can do, unless one of you out there has some bright ideas.

S

WindhoverDave

Postby WindhoverDave » June 25th, 2023, 7:53 am

Not understanding the jargon - what's a T24?

Dicky99
Lemon Slice

Postby Dicky99 » June 25th, 2023, 9:24 am

WindhoverDave wrote:Not understanding the jargon - what's a T24?

https://www.londonstockexchange.com/sto ... mpany-page

Return to “Passive Investing”