Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Anonymous,bruncher,niord,gvonge,Shelford, for Donating to support the site

Kwasi Kwarteng sacked

including Budgets
Dod101
The full Lemon

Re: Kwasi Kwarteng sacked

Postby Dod101 » October 16th, 2022, 8:36 am

servodude wrote:
Dod101 wrote:
1nvest wrote:
XFool wrote:
Lootman wrote:No, he's just a bit boring. I think he is seen as a "safe pair of hands" and perhaps that is needed right now. The nation evidently wasn't ready for radical change and prefers more muddling through.

Prefers "muddling through"? You don't think what we have currently is a right old muddle?

I think he is stupid, arrogant and widely disliked. But depends upon your definition of stupid. Put another way about as clever as Andew Bailey. Wait for Monday after Hunt is indicating far more austerity and Bailey is indicating interest rates will have to rise much more than anticipated before.

When I said stupid I did not mean in the sense of 'does not know what he is doing' but for taking on the job as Chancellor. I think he will probably help settle the markets but how he will be able to work with Truss I do not know.

Anyway It is not difficult to predict what he is likely to do. What would you do, since you seem to think that everybody else is wrong?

Dod

I think Hunt is laying the groundwork to look like a safe pair of hands to replace Truss; probably some time around Xmas

Seen as a credible contender anyway, and it could be well before Christmas. Whether Truss will stick it out is another question. Since she is so wooden, it is well nigh impossible to gauge her feelings, but how she could remain in situ as her own ideas for the economy are about to be trashed I do not know. Hunt is said to be meeting Truss today. Would love to be a fly on that wall!

Dod

scrumpyjack
Lemon Quarter

Postby scrumpyjack » October 16th, 2022, 9:58 am

My guess is Conservative MPs will replace Truss with Rishi, not Hunt. They went through a lengthy selection process and Rishi was their choice then and they rejected Hunt by a large margin. Why would they choose Hunt now. Added to that, all Rishi's warnings about Trusses policies have played out as he warned.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » October 16th, 2022, 10:01 am

scrumpyjack wrote:My guess is Conservative MPs will replace Truss with Rishi, not Hunt. They went through a lengthy selection process and Rishi was their choice then and they rejected Hunt by a large margin. Why would they choose Hunt now. Added to that, all Rishi's warnings about Trusses policies have played out as he warned.

I agree. He is very sensibly lying low and out of the limelight for now. He might even keep Hunt as his Chancellor.

Dod

Eboli
Lemon Slice

Postby Eboli » October 17th, 2022, 7:34 pm

One could suspect that Sunak has been behind all of this and is puppet master pulling Hunt's strings. That explanation appeals to me.

I for one can never forgive Hunt for supporting the Chinese welding people in their accommodation during the pandemic and being in support of the incarceration of his mother in Hong Kong. This man is just evil.

Whilst here I should reply to Alaric who commented:

Howard was only ever shadow Chancellor as it was during the Blair Brown era of 1997 to 2010
Hadn't Johnson been appointed by May as Foreign Secretary? Did May sack him before she was forced out?

As to Howard, I agree. Sorry for the typo.
I think Johnson resigned before May was forced out.

Eb.

Return to “The Economy”