Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Anonymous,bruncher,niord,gvonge,Shelford, for Donating to support the site

Easter eggs

Grumpy Old Lemons Like You
gryffron
Lemon Quarter

Easter eggs

Postby gryffron » December 30th, 2016, 6:53 pm

Cadburys creme eggs in Tesco today.

Already!

stooz
Site Admin

Re: Easter eggs

Postby stooz » December 30th, 2016, 8:20 pm

I once worked at cadburys. They don't even make them in Easter. The egg factory is moth balled at that time of the year. Production actually starts in June.

NomoneyNohoney
Lemon Slice

Postby NomoneyNohoney » December 30th, 2016, 11:00 pm

Here's one I spotted a few days ago:
http://i.imgur.com/Aj79ixJ.jpg
Expiry date 24th December!

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » December 30th, 2016, 11:48 pm

Didn't realise there was supposed to be anything seasonal about creme eggs. Not that I'd buy them at any time of year.

I've been shopping mostly in Lidl this month, as I can trust them not to pipe muzak at us (and a new one just opened locally-ish). Saw hot cross buns there. Weren't those once a seasonal thing? Not that I'd buy those, either.

jfgw
Lemon Quarter

Postby jfgw » December 31st, 2016, 11:24 am

Saw hot cross buns there...

There's nothing hot about them. Back when my father worked at a bakery (many years ago), cross buns were sold fresh from the oven and were hot. The cross was simply cut with a knife.

Julian F. G. W.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » December 31st, 2016, 2:53 pm

stooz wrote:I once worked at cadburys. They don't even make them in Easter. The egg factory is moth balled at that time of the year. Production actually starts in June.

You too? Another old Bournville hand here.

Ah yes, the good old exploding Crème Eggs. Herewith my post from the old Fool forum on the subject:
http://boards.fool.co.uk/not-especially ... 71185.aspx

BJ

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » January 1st, 2017, 6:18 pm

FredBloggs wrote:They're made in Poland now though, anyway. I no longer buy any Cadbury products.

Can't say I disagree with you there. I don't actually like chocolate all that much (it sends me to sleep), but from what I've gathered, Cadbury's finest now tastes like a Hershey Bar - full of corn syrup, I daresay, and with a rock-bottom cocoa content. Having been born and raised on the real thing, I can't see myself settling for anything less. :(

The late departed AA Gill once said that “asking Americans to make coffee is like asking them to draw a map of the world”. Same goes for chocolate, I think.

BJ

stooz
Site Admin

Postby stooz » January 2nd, 2017, 1:22 pm

There was once an attempt to ban cadburys from being called chocolate by the EU. Talk of it not having enough cocoa content to be officially chocolate.
Made with too much vegatable fat apparently.
Good enough reason to leave the eu for me.
It's what we are used to though.

6Tricia
2 Lemon pips

Postby 6Tricia » January 2nd, 2017, 2:09 pm

Haven't bought anything from Cadbury since they sold out to Kraft in 2011. I remember reading about the outrage in the press when Kraft changed the recipe for the creme eggs in 2015. Not that it affected me - they are Yuk as far as I'm concerned! I don't buy any Kraft products either if I can help it, although it's difficult because Kraft own so many food companies. :evil:

Tricia

NomoneyNohoney
Lemon Slice

Postby NomoneyNohoney » January 2nd, 2017, 5:04 pm

6Tricia wrote:Haven't bought anything from Cadbury since they sold out to Kraft in 2011. ... I don't buy any Kraft products either if I can help it, although it's difficult because Kraft own so many food companies. :evil:

Tricia

Seconded - my son loves watching my anguish if the shop only has Cadbury chocolate. So far, I've never given in to the temptation to forsake my principles. Kraft's cynicism was unforgivable.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » January 3rd, 2017, 6:40 pm

Good grief, it turns out that the sell-out was even worse than I thought. Apparently they're making Cadburys Dairy Milk bars with a Union Jack wrapper - in Poland......

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/food-and-dri ... its-magic/

And they were behind the laughable shrinking Toblerone scam. No wonder they've changed the brand name from Kraft to Mondelez. Hiding their own faces in the shame of it. :evil:

Incidentally, in case you're wondering, "Mondelez" was chosen because it sounds like a real French word to an American. That's "Monde", as in world. And "Delez" because it sounds like a plausibly French way of saying Delicious. Well, it does if you remember to pronounce the hard z in a way that no Frenchman ever would. Especially easy if you come from Detroit or Des Moines, I expect. Pass the Freedom Fries.

BJ

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » January 3rd, 2017, 6:54 pm

"Mondelez perfectly captures the idea of a 'delicious world' opined Mary Beth, followed by "I'm thrilled with the name Mondelez International. It's interesting, unique and captures a big idea – just the way the snacks we make can take small moments in our lives and turn them into something bigger, brighter and more joyful." both from http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zht ... ID=1674969 although no mention of making something smaller.

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » January 3rd, 2017, 8:07 pm

bungeejumper wrote:Can't say I disagree with you there. I don't actually like chocolate all that much (it sends me to sleep), but from what I've gathered, Cadbury's finest now tastes like a Hershey Bar - full of corn syrup, I daresay, and with a rock-bottom cocoa content. Having been born and raised on the real thing, I can't see myself settling for anything less. :(

The late departed AA Gill once said that “asking Americans to make coffee is like asking them to draw a map of the world”. Same goes for chocolate, I think.

BJ

There was an Inside The Factory about chocolate (mainly KitKat) over Christmas and they reformed UK, USA, Belgian and Swiss milk choc into identicle looking stuff and got the public to compare it. The US chocolate was universally disliked, other than by random Yanks encountered in the street. Something to do with the chocolate you're brought up on.

Wouldn't have worked with me as I don't like milk chocolate, only dark and much prefer Belgian or Swiss.

They did explain what the Yanks do to their chocolate to make it so disgusting, but I can't remember what it was.

Slarti

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » January 3rd, 2017, 8:09 pm

stooz wrote:There was once an attempt to ban cadburys from being called chocolate by the EU. Talk of it not having enough cocoa content to be officially chocolate.
Made with too much vegatable fat apparently.
Good enough reason to leave the eu for me.
It's what we are used to though.

It wasn't just Cadburys, but all British style chocolate.

Slarti

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » January 3rd, 2017, 9:12 pm

Isn't Cadburys mostly a brand licensing operation these days?

Long before the Kraft days, there were more than one companies manufacturing and selling different chocolates under the Cadburys brand. Premier Foods owned the Cadburys name on some product lines back in 2009 when I bought in to their open offer, and a look at the PFD website tells me they still do.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » January 4th, 2017, 9:38 am

UncleEbenezer wrote:Premier Foods owned the Cadburys name on some product lines back in 2009 when I bought in to their open offer, and a look at the PFD website tells me they still do.

I'm a PFD shareholder, for my many sins, and I've lost a few quid on that one. AFAIK, PFD don't own the brand, but they do have a license from Cadburys to make and market the cakes. The license is up for renewal in June, but it could presumably be scuppered if Mondelez decides that it could get the stuff made more profitably in Poland.

http://www.iii.co.uk/research/LSE:PFD/n ... ke-license

BJ

Return to “Bitter Lemons”