Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Anonymous,bruncher,niord,gvonge,Shelford, for Donating to support the site

Musk endeavours

The Big Picture Place
onthemove
Lemon Slice

Re: Musk endeavours

Postby onthemove » August 17th, 2021, 11:42 pm

odysseus2000 wrote:Humans have been driving cars for over 100 years using two optical sensors called eyes. Clearly they are not that good at it, but one imagines that 6 eyes coupled with much faster reflexes and non-distractible would likely be better.

Computers certainly have some advantages as you mention. The non-distractible being probably the absolutely most significant.

But where they are seriously hindered is in their cognitive (in)abilities. They don't have the capability to reason or make inferences, (but see [1]). They don't understand what the things are that they see. At best, all they have is typical behaviour patterns for predetermined categories of entities that they've been developed to identify.

And that is a huge disadvantage for self driving cars vs humans. They can't analyse for example whether a load on a lorry that you're following is not tied on properly and posing a serious risk of falling off. It's unlikely that it would be able to predict a falling tree, or telegraph lines at risk of falling, e.g. in storms. It's unlikely that it would be able to infer that a road might be undermined if flood water is washing underneath it, or a bridge unsafe if part of the wall has started to fall into the river below. Or if a cyclist was about to hit an object in the road (small pipe, etc) that might throw them suddenly off balance, etc.

Don't get me wrong... the technology is amazing, and I do believe it will do better than humans overall, but I don't agree that the computer eyes are de-facto much better than humans. In most cases the extra speed of processing isn't all that beneficial. That's not to say there won't be some situations where it's quite literally a life saver, but these are likely to be infrequent edge cases. I would suspect that the lack of inference ability would be more of a hindrance.

Most importantly is being able to recognise what's around the car - as a minimum recognise solid things that could be hit. Fast reactions are useless if you don't spot the person stood there wearing black at night on a black road. Or if a group of school kids are huddled together looking at something together, such their faces aren't showing, and all wearing the same colour uniforms so that their outlines are obscured meaning the vision system doesn't recognise them as people, stood in front of a vehicle the same colour as their uniforms, such that the vision system doesn't even see there's an 'object' there that it needs to avoid irrespective of what it is, etc

Using cameras will always be susceptible to optical effects - camouflage (intentional or accidental), reflections, optical illusions and such like.

Even just establishing depth from 3d is not particularly accurate - I can't help feel this is perhaps why the FSD display on Tesla's tends to be somewhat jittery, and prone to changing its mind quite frequently in Tesla videos on youtube vs what the equivalent Waymo videos show. (Just watch the video I link to below... it's quite nauseating watching the cars on the visualisation jumping around... some even flip 90 degrees in an instant .. other times as the car comes become unobstruted it's very apparent that the distance judgement is way out, as the (in reality stationary) car moves several meters over a second or two as it comes into view ... you wouldn't have that problem with lidar!)

Establishing depth from images is also highly costly in terms of processing (think both power consumption and computational processing capacity).

When safety is so important, why wouldn't you use a dedicated sensor to give you distance to the things around you, a sensor which also gives you redundancy as well as an alternative channel which can continue providing valuable information when other channels are out of their comfort zone?

As for cost, Google / Waymo and others are putting significant investment into lidar development, and it looks highly likely that when mass produced, the costs will be significantly reduced.

odysseus2000 wrote:There are huge problems with lidar and radar as clearly outlined by the Tesla's Andrej Karpathy (senior director of their robotic driving AI team) in videos I have linked to on this site, even before one considers the cost, complexity and ugliness of having such additional systems on a car.

Everything depends on what Tesla can get to work, but so far Tesla, at least imho, after I have studied a lot of systems, is very close to having a viable system but most of the others are not.

Regards,

https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Automo ... omous-cars
"But technological innovation has significantly undermined the assumption underlying Musk's argument.

Velodyne CEO Anand Gopalan told Nikkei that Musk's view of lidar technology is "five, six years out of date."
(... )
Velodyne has sharply reduced lidar production costs by developing solid-state lidars. This new approach has helped shrink the size of the sensors, eliminate moving parts in the optical mechanisms and enable the kind of mass manufacturing that has brought costs down.

(...)
Luminar Technologies, a U.S. vehicle sensor and software startup, has also developed low-priced lidar sensors priced at $500 to $1,000.

Luminar's high-performance lidar sensors can accurately detect objects ahead of the car out to 250 meters away and grasp the situation around the vehicle with a perception accuracy of several centimeters. The sensors can also detect dark objects, like black debris or a person wearing black clothes, even on roads with minimum reflectivity."

Much is made of Tesla's data gathering in the real world. But without lidar on their vehicles, how can they know whether the image recognition did indeed spot all the objects around the vehicle?

If in a couple of year, Waymo turned round and said "you know what, we've been using lidar all this time, and the past 24 months none of our cars have ever not spotted something optically, that was detected by the lidar, so we're confident we can get rid of the lidar"... then I'd think, ok, fine they've no ego behind the decision and they've got the data, so I'd trust them that it's safe to remove the lidar.

But when it comes to Tesla, headed by an ego that already dismissed lidar, and isn't therefore even getting real world data to inform the decision, ... what confidence can we have that they'd actually admit their mistake if they found it limiting to vision lacking? Would they even know? If they aren't even using lidar, how would they know that their vehicles wouldn't be better with it?

By the way, even Tesla engineers admitted to California authorities that they're a long way at getting past level 2 autonomy.

Waymo are already offering services in the real world with no safety driver in the driving seat.

Waymo - keep your hands off the wheel
Tesla - Keep you hands on the wheel

I don't see what grounds at all you have to think that "[Tesla] is very close to having a viable system but most of the others are not"

Prompted by writing this, I've just checked on youtube to see what the latest is, and pure coincidence, this Telsa video just posted seems very enlightening...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmMxH8j ... el=AIDRIVR

It starts by detailing some new features in the beta.

And you know what, I think it's ridiculous that they're calling it beta... the level of new technology they're even only just partially introducing, come off it... this is prototype stuff, not beta. Beta testing is about identifying bugs in a product that is otherwise believed to be pretty much finished. But what is getting released in these FSD 'beta's isn't just bug fixes... it's whole new predictive models and such like, etc.

And omg... @ 7 minutes, it pulls out right in front of an approaching vehicle, causing that vehicle to have to brake sharply! I haven't seen earlier versions do that!

From what I'm seeing of Tesla, it really does look like they potentially going to struggle to advance from here. Some of the things in that video seem to undo good behaviour from previous versions. Even the guy narrating the video admits that its behaviour can be very variable. And you can also see the jitteriness in the planned route... it's like a watching a plasma sphere.

Those are real bad signs that it's no where near production ready yet. If it were near production ready, it should be quite 'settled' in its behaviour. That it's still jittery, suggests to me that it's pushing right at the limits of what "it" is capable of. By "it" I mean the whole stack - cameras, vision, software architecture, etc.

I think I've used the skyscraper analogy before... when you build a skyscraper, you can't just keep adding more floors until you reach the height you want. ... you need to have the right foundation and the right structure in the floors below to support your target height.

If you misjudge and find you need to go higher than you built your foundations to support... well, let's put it this way... it's always been a matter of pride and competition between building designers and countries, etc, to get the worlds highest skyscrapers.

Pop quiz... when one country has leapt in front of another, how many times has the previous record holder just gone back and added a few more floors on top of their previous record holding building, to make it the new record holder once again? I don't know for sure, but I don't believe it's that many, if at all.

Almost invariably, when someone builds a new world record skyscraper, it's pretty much always a new dedicated building, build from scratch, specifically designed to reach the new record height.

For Tesla shareholder's sake, let's hope the jitteriness and quite inconsistent behaviour in otherwise similar situations, still present in the FSD beta, isn't indicating the Tesla FSD skyscraper has reached the limits of what it's foundations can support.

--

[1] I'm well aware that there are, and have been over the past several decades, numerous different attempts at developing computers that 'reason', but in the context of this post, to all practical intents are purposes these are not relevant; these aspects of AI have not yet had their 'revolution moment' the way AI image processing did approx a decade ago. So while simple, limited 'laboratory' reasoning is possible, it's scope is so limited that it is not relevant to the point I'm making in the body of my post.

Howard
Lemon Quarter

Postby Howard » August 18th, 2021, 12:41 am

I have driven a new Tesla Model 3 recently. See viewtopic.php?p=430764#p430764

I had the interesting experience of driving at 70 mph on a Motorway in very good visibility and could see a broken down vehicle obstructing the slow lane ahead. I'd guess it was almost a mile ahead when I saw it and its hazard lights. The Motorway wasn't busy and, looking in the mirror I could see that no cars were about to overtake me. So, out of interest, I carried on driving in the nearside lane to see when the car recognised the hazard. As it got close and hadn't reacted, I started to indicate and began to move into the next lane. The car did not "see" the obstruction until the very last moment. It then gave an audible warning and showed the obstacle on its screen. If I'd waited until it took evasive action it would have been a last minute swerve into the next lane. In heavier traffic the situation would have been very dangerous.

It could be argued that this was not a scientific test but it persuaded me that FSD is still a long way off. I would not trust the car to deal with a similar obstacle.

It's easy for fans who haven't driven the car to theorise about its capabilities but, in my experience, assuming an alert driver, human anticipation is still superior to the car's cameras and computing capabilities.

regards

Howard

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Postby BobbyD » August 18th, 2021, 2:02 am

Nice post.

onthemove wrote:Most importantly is being able to recognise what's around the car - as a minimum recognise solid things that could be hit. Fast reactions are useless if you don't spot the person stood there wearing black at night on a black road...

...or the white lorry cutting across your lane, or even lying overturned across 2 lanes to take two real life Tesla failures. One has to imagine that better distance interpretation might also have prevented the recent scenario where Teslas misinterpreted the moon as an amber traffic light, and saved police, ambulance and fire departments large repair bills.

onthemove wrote:When safety is so important, why wouldn't you use a dedicated sensor to give you distance to the things around you, a sensor which also gives you redundancy as well as an alternative channel which can continue providing valuable information when other channels are out of their comfort zone?

The lack of redundancy on teslas which are supposed to be evolving in to self driving vehicles is frightening. Eight 1.2 MP cameras with no automated lens cleaning capability! Not sure if you saw the video of a Mobileye vision only system driving around NY for 40 minutes I posted a while back? It's impressive, but the thing which makes the mobileye system a serious attempt at genuine autonomous driving for me is the fact that they run a non-visual system in parallel. It's a point I've raised before but for a serious system which is going to pass regulatory frameworks for autonomous driving I don't think redundancy is going to be limited to sensors, but sensor redundancy will be required. Two independent systems keeping check on each other seems like a mature solution, and one whose existence is going to put further pressure on regulators to require that level of redundancy.

onthemove wrote:As for cost, Google / Waymo and others are putting significant investment into lidar development, and it looks highly likely that when mass produced, the costs will be significantly reduced.

Exscuse the self quote from 2018 for speed:

BobbyD wrote:Somebody should build a whacking great factory to produce them for cheap...

An electronics buff in my family is famous for declaring that we'll never be able to build a pocket calculator cheaply enough for it to become a mass consumer item.

In 1999, Jaguar introduced the first radar-based cruise control in the XK, a coupe that sold for about $100,000 in today’s dollars. At the time, the sensors were so expensive that as Tapley tells it, “People joked around that you got a free Jag with every radar purchase.”

Today, you can get the same feature in a $18,000 Corolla. “We’re kind of on that same learning curve with lidar,” she says. “Until solid state becomes mature and enters mass production, these vehicles are going to be pretty cost prohibitive for an average consumer to own.”

- https://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/soli ... ving-cars/

The technology is evolving fast, and there are numerous companies competing in LIDAR.

https://www.vehicle-trend.com/Knowledge ... -1146.html

LIDAR costs and capabilities have already changed dramatically, and predictably since Musk decided they were too expensive to use.

onthemove wrote:I don't see what grounds at all you have to think that "[Tesla] is very close to having a viable system but most of the others are not"

Exactly the same grounds that Musk has for believing LIDAR is of little use for FSD and far too expensive to be incorporated in to a mainstream system.

onthemove wrote:And you know what, I think it's ridiculous that they're calling it beta... the level of new technology they're even only just partially introducing, come off it... this is prototype stuff, not beta. Beta testing is about identifying bugs in a product that is otherwise believed to be pretty much finished. But what is getting released in these FSD 'beta's isn't just bug fixes... it's whole new predictive models and such like, etc.

And omg... @ 7 minutes, it pulls out right in front of an approaching vehicle, causing that vehicle to have to brake sharply! I haven't seen earlier versions do that!

If they called it a developmental prototype no nation would allow its use by the unsupervised general population on their roads (quite correctly), if they call it a release they'll have to pony up to upgrade all the cars they sold as being FSD capable but which won't run the current software version. I'd imagine it's a going to be beta for a very long time...

onthemove wrote:I think I've used the skyscraper analogy before... when you build a skyscraper, you can't just keep adding more floors until you reach the height you want. ... you need to have the right foundation and the right structure in the floors below to support your target height.

Wait until you see the plans for Musk Towers. It'll be announced as twice as high as the Burj Khalifa, with a completion date in a couple of years. In a couple of years there will still be no site, n o plans, and no planning application but Musk will be saying that it is going to be 4 times as high as the Burj Kalifa, will use cold air thrusters to counter strong winds in it's top half, and that its lifts will be have the fastest 0-60 of any production lift on the planet.

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » August 18th, 2021, 6:08 am

odysseus2000 wrote:
Given that there is a fatal or serious accident every 20 minutes and that very few of these appear in Reuters as did the Tesla case I still feel that the predominant draw for the big media was the Tesla.

For many traders the mere sign of an article in Reuters will have been the main trigger is causing them to act or not.

Hang on....

Hopefully we don't need to go too far back on this thread to appreciate that you're always quite happy to take promising-sounding Tesla-related news, even if it's not actually manifested in any level of reality at this stage, and spin it to try and project a justification that Tesla is going to take over the world auto-market...

Surely you can appreciate that media-interest focussing on accidents where a Tesla has been involved is just the flip-side of that Ody, or do you think that 'hype' should only ever be used on the *positive* side....?

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Postby BobbyD » August 18th, 2021, 9:04 am

Itsallaguess wrote:
odysseus2000 wrote:
Given that there is a fatal or serious accident every 20 minutes and that very few of these appear in Reuters as did the Tesla case I still feel that the predominant draw for the big media was the Tesla.

For many traders the mere sign of an article in Reuters will have been the main trigger is causing them to act or not.

Hang on....

Hopefully we don't need to go too far back on this thread to appreciate that you're always quite happy to take promising-sounding Tesla-related news, even if it's not actually manifested in any level of reality at this stage, and spin it to try and project a justification that Tesla is going to take over the world auto-market...

Surely you can appreciate that media-interest focussing on accidents where a Tesla has been involved is just the flip-side of that Ody, or do you think that 'hype' should only ever be used on the *positive* side....?

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

6 kids injured during the summer silly season was always going to he a story...

murraypaul
Lemon Slice

Postby murraypaul » August 18th, 2021, 10:02 am

BobbyD wrote:6 kids injured during the summer silly season was always going to he a story...

It would have been reported either way.
It was reported differently because it was a Tesla.
The BBC headline was "Six children and parent hit by Tesla".
That wouldn't have been "Six children and parent hit by Volvo" or "Six children and parent hit by Honda".

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Postby odysseus2000 » August 18th, 2021, 1:46 pm

Hi onthemove,

Thank you for your great post. Some comments

And that is a huge disadvantage for self driving cars vs humans. They can't analyse for example whether a load on a lorry that you're following is not tied on properly and posing a serious risk of falling off. It's unlikely that it would be able to predict a falling tree, or telegraph lines at risk of falling, e.g. in storms. It's unlikely that it would be able to infer that a road might be undermined if flood water is washing underneath it, or a bridge unsafe if part of the wall has started to fall into the river below. Or if a cyclist was about to hit an object in the road (small pipe, etc) that might throw them suddenly off balance, etc.

But can humans do these things? Sure some can but the majority of car drivers in my experience would not recognise an unsafe load, their minds are usually focused on other things and they do not take note of anything beyond having a clear road, stop lights, car indicators and where they are going.

Don't get me wrong... the technology is amazing, and I do believe it will do better than humans overall, but I don't agree that the computer eyes are de-facto much better than humans. In most cases the extra speed of processing isn't all that beneficial. That's not to say there won't be some situations where it's quite literally a life saver, but these are likely to be infrequent edge cases. I would suspect that the lack of inference ability would be more of a hindrance.

Its a question of whether 6, non distractible eyes, are better than 2 distractible ones and how many accidents are caused by drivers not paying attention.

Most importantly is being able to recognise what's around the car - as a minimum recognise solid things that could be hit. Fast reactions are useless if you don't spot the person stood there wearing black at night on a black road. Or if a group of school kids are huddled together looking at something together, such their faces aren't showing, and all wearing the same colour uniforms so that their outlines are obscured meaning the vision system doesn't recognise them as people, stood in front of a vehicle the same colour as their uniforms, such that the vision system doesn't even see there's an 'object' there that it needs to avoid irrespective of what it is, etc

It has puzzled me for a while why the Tesla system does not have one or more infra red cameras for night driving. If that was incorporated the Tesla would drive at night with vision that is beyond human, although it could be dazzled by oncoming lights or deliberately by using a flare or similar as has been used against US troops with night vision.

Using cameras will always be susceptible to optical effects - camouflage (intentional or accidental), reflections, optical illusions and such like.

Yes, but that is true for humans as well with many soldiers being killed by enemies they do not see as a camouflaged hostile before they are attacked.

Even just establishing depth from 3d is not particularly accurate - I can't help feel this is perhaps why the FSD display on Tesla's tends to be somewhat jittery, and prone to changing its mind quite frequently in Tesla videos on youtube vs what the equivalent Waymo videos show. (Just watch the video I link to below... it's quite nauseating watching the cars on the visualisation jumping around... some even flip 90 degrees in an instant .. other times as the car comes become unobstruted it's very apparent that the distance judgement is way out, as the (in reality stationary) car moves several meters over a second or two as it comes into view ... you wouldn't have that problem with lidar!)
Establishing depth from images is also highly costly in terms of processing (think both power consumption and computational processing capacity).

When safety is so important, why wouldn't you use a dedicated sensor to give you distance to the things around you, a sensor which also gives you redundancy as well as an alternative channel which can continue providing valuable information when other channels are out of their comfort zone?

In practice you have these problems with both lidar and radar. That was one of the very clear points of Andrej Karpathy discussion of why they removed radar and lidar. He showed clearly how the information coming from radar takes a finite time to become accurate and whilst flipping about messes up the optical data. With it removed the optical systems did better.

By the way, even Tesla engineers admitted to California authorities that they're a long way at getting past level 2 autonomy.

Yes but this is lawyer and political stuff, covering their rears.

Waymo are already offering services in the real world with no safety driver in the driving seat.

Waymo - keep your hands off the wheel
Tesla - Keep you hands on the wheel

Yes, but as far as I know these are geo-fenced systems, not something that can work anywhere.

I don't see what grounds at all you have to think that "[Tesla] is very close to having a viable system but most of the others are not"

Prompted by writing this, I've just checked on youtube to see what the latest is, and pure coincidence, this Telsa video just posted seems very enlightening...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmMxH8j ... el=AIDRIVR

My grounds are based on my experience with software and how what seems to be asymptotic progress that can never be solved, reaches a practical point where it is useful despite it not being 100% perfect. In the video that you cite, the car realised it was wrong and took steps to correct which as the narrator noted was what he would do. Also as the narrator notes, we can not expect perfection, it is a case of whether the Tesla system can be made to be very much better than a human such that number of road deaths and serious injuries injuries falls significantly. If in the UK we could go from a death or serious injury every 20 minutes to one ever hour it would a huge improvement.

And you know what, I think it's ridiculous that they're calling it beta... the level of new technology they're even only just partially introducing, come off it... this is prototype stuff, not beta. Beta testing is about identifying bugs in a product that is otherwise believed to be pretty much finished. But what is getting released in these FSD 'beta's isn't just bug fixes... it's whole new predictive models and such like, etc.

There are often significant re-writes in beta software after it is released and all the software houses are continually introducing new stuff. In this case there are no hardware changes, it is just software updates trying to get to a specific result so it is not what I would describe as prototype work where nothing is known and the hardware is being refined and changed.

For Tesla shareholder's sake, let's hope the jitteriness and quite inconsistent behaviour in otherwise similar situations, still present in the FSD beta, isn't indicating the Tesla FSD skyscraper has reached the limits of what it's foundations can support.

I don’t think the jitteriness can be removed. It could be smoothed out, but assessing the situation and changing ones mind as more data is collected until a high level of certainty is reached is inherent to how humans and machines work when driving.

Regards,

Hallucigenia
Lemon Quarter

Postby Hallucigenia » August 18th, 2021, 8:31 pm

https://www.benchmarkminerals.com/membe ... een-light/

"Tesla is feeling the combined effects of an ongoing global semiconductor shortage and a limited supply of tier one lithium battery cells, writing in its Q2 2021 earnings presentation that “due to the limited availability of battery cells and global supply chain challenges, we have shifted the launch of the Semi truck program to 2022.”

Tesla’s 4680 cells, which are not yet at commercial production levels, are the likely route of the battery bottleneck which is delaying bringing the Semi to market.

Tesla had originally used 2170 cells in the Semi prototype, but plans to use 4680 cells
"

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Postby odysseus2000 » August 18th, 2021, 11:28 pm

Fascinating how commentators have not researched how much lithium goes into a lithium battery and how much lithium there is and its geographical abundance. Additionally they have not appreciated that lithium can be recovered from exhausted lithium batteries and re-used. Commentators often ignore science when they are making political points and this leads to things like this, where Farage points are hilarious for being wrong (4 mins 33):

https://youtu.be/e2sxN6ODHTU

The more one knows about a subject the more often one finds commentators and politicians talk stuff that has no basis in reality and that often extends to scientists working for the government who are given an agenda to promote. Once science is trashed one is often heading to very big troubles. Churchill understood this and kept Lord Cherwell close by during the second war.

Regards,

richfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby richfool » August 19th, 2021, 11:50 am

More on Tesla entering the battery storage arena:

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/tesla-pl ... 53323.html

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Postby odysseus2000 » August 19th, 2021, 1:02 pm

richfool wrote:More on Tesla entering the battery storage arena:

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/tesla-pl ... 53323.html

Tesla plans to sell its power units at about a fifth of local market prices, according to Nikkei.

Interesting, as in the UK green infer structure is the reason put forward for the relentless rise in electricity prices.

It would be nice for UK consumers if Tesla could repeat this price reduction in the UK, but there are likely many vested interests against it.

Regards,

Hallucigenia
Lemon Quarter

Postby Hallucigenia » August 19th, 2021, 1:44 pm

odysseus2000 wrote:Fascinating how commentators have not researched how much lithium goes into a lithium battery and how much lithium there is and its geographical abundance. Additionally they have not appreciated that lithium can be recovered from exhausted lithium batteries and re-used.

Benchmark provide the main Western index of lithium prices and as close to the entirety of the global lithium supply chain as anybody - I suspect they know rather more than you about lithium.

Sure, as with oil there's lots of lithium in the world - the question as always is how much can be economically extracted - see the link I posted yesterday on the storage thread. There seems to be a fairly consistent theme emerging from the lithium specialists that whilst there's enough lithium mines permitted and financed to support the next 2-3 years of this remarkable growth in demand, but there currently looks like a significant shortfall in supply after that, even when you allow for all planned developments going ahead. So it looks like you will need higher lithium prices to expand supply.

Of course recycling has a part to play - but it depends on lithium that was mined 5/10/15 years previously when far less was produced, it just won't make a significant difference until the late 2020s. And as with mines it just takes time to get facilities permitted, financed and up and running.

Which is why you see comments like this : "Electric-vehicle makers are pushing for an intermediary role in mining to secure supplies of key battery metals, according to the head of Wheaton Precious Metals Corp. “We’ve had discussions on that and Tesla has definitely explored these options,” Chief Executive Officer Randy Smallwood said Friday in a phone interview. “There is a real concern on the battery metal side in terms of supply.”[/i]

Hallucigenia
Lemon Quarter

Postby Hallucigenia » August 19th, 2021, 2:05 pm

odysseus2000 wrote:Interesting, as in the UK green infer structure is the reason put forward for the relentless rise in electricity prices.

It would be nice for UK consumers if Tesla could repeat this price reduction in the UK, but there are likely many vested interests against it.

Huh? You're talking about completely different things. UK electricity prices have not been "rising relentlessly" - and whilst subsidies for renewables has been one reason, gas prices are another (currently at decade+ highs). The cost of storage batteries is not a significant factor.

But we are getting over that hump of enabling the renewable transition, at least in some cases - you're now seeing onshore windfarms at least being operated with no subsidies or CfDs.

And stop creating strawmen; the UK power market is hugely competitive and if someone can deliver a (certified) component for 20% of the cost - as in actually deliver, not promise - then people will bite your hand off. The whole "blame shadowy forces for why we're not selling stuff" is tiresome.

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Postby odysseus2000 » August 19th, 2021, 2:54 pm

Hallucigenia
Sure, as with oil there's lots of lithium in the world - the question as always is how much can be economically extracted - see the link I posted yesterday on the storage thread. There seems to be a fairly consistent theme emerging from the lithium specialists that whilst there's enough lithium mines permitted and financed to support the next 2-3 years of this remarkable growth in demand, but there currently looks like a significant shortfall in supply after that, even when you allow for all planned developments going ahead. So it looks like you will need higher lithium prices to expand supply.

The assertion made by Farage was that Biden allowing Afghanistan to fall endangered the green agenda as Afghanistan is the Saudi Arabia of lithium.

I do not see how this is remotely sensible. There are many known deposits all over the planet. Tesla e.g. have discussed buying known deposits to set up their own mining operation and as demand increases more and more mining licences will be granted as the miners slip brown paper packages into regulators and politicians pockets.

Of course recycling has a part to play - but it depends on lithium that was mined 5/10/15 years previously when far less was produced, it just won't make a significant difference until the late 2020s. And as with mines it just takes time to get facilities permitted, financed and up and running.

Yes, and that is the point, as the lithium battery economy grows more and more lithium will be re-cycled avoiding a lot of the costs of mining. Lithium is not like oil. It is not consumed in the batteries.

Which is why you see comments like this : "Electric-vehicle makers are pushing for an intermediary role in mining to secure supplies of key battery metals, according to the head of Wheaton Precious Metals Corp. “We’ve had discussions on that and Tesla has definitely explored these options,” Chief Executive Officer Randy Smallwood said Friday in a phone interview. “There is a real concern on the battery metal side in terms of supply.”

Would you expect the head of Wheaton Precious Metals to say anything other than there isn't enough supply, prices will go up. His job is talk the price of any precious metal and things are not that great for the gold despite many commentators saying we have high inflation, so they are branching out from precious metals into much less precious lithium. There were many similar statements when the great powers were building out their stock of thermo nuclear fusion weapons and folk were speculating on the price of lithium mines and on the amount of isotopes of 6 and 7 lithium and it was common to see the US and others dumping lithium onto the markets with most of the lithium 6 isotope removed.

Regards,

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Postby odysseus2000 » August 19th, 2021, 3:16 pm

Hallucigenia wrote:
odysseus2000 wrote:Interesting, as in the UK green infer structure is the reason put forward for the relentless rise in electricity prices.

Huh? You're talking about completely different things. UK electricity prices have not been "rising relentlessly" - and whilst subsidies for renewables has been one reason, gas prices are another (currently at decade+ highs). The cost of storage batteries is not a significant factor.

But we are getting over that hump of enabling the renewable transition, at least in some cases - you're now seeing onshore windfarms at least being operated with no subsidies or CfDs.

And stop creating strawmen; the UK power market is hugely competitive and if someone can deliver a (certified) component for 20% of the cost - as in actually deliver, not promise - then people will bite your hand off. The whole "blame shadowy forces for why we're not selling stuff" is tiresome.

My electricity prices have been rising relentlessly despite the rapid rise in the amount of UK wind generated electricity. Sure gas prices are high but with the rapid rise in wind power the price of gas is becoming less important in the price of electricity.

The UK power market is not hugely competitive. It is very weakly regulated and the power companies have been allowed to raise prices in a near monopolist fashion and much of the wind generation hard ware has been imported, not creating UK employment or building a UK manufacturing base. There has been plenty of lucrative deals between the foreign makers and UK utility companies that have done nothing for the UK. It would have been possible for the UK to mandate that UK manufactured hardware became substantially lower cost than imported even when in the EU, France does this all the time, and now out of the EU even more easily for the UK.

British gas is one of the worst of the quasi monopolies and it continues with exorbitant prices for installation work. I was talking with an owner of an industrial park near me who was incandescent with rage about how British gas massively overcharge him and then take a long time to do the work.

The next stage in green power will be increased storage allowing the collection of power when it is generated and then sale when it is needed. If that is handled correctly this should cause a substantial reduction in cost as in the original article about Japan, but we are again seeing the utilities crying to the government and wanting the consumers to subsidise the whole thing. Whereas there could be flotations to create new companies with the mandate to store and sell and the cost of the infrastructure met by the investors rather than the consumers and tax payers. What we have seen with installation of the generation phase has been a cosy and very profitable, for the folk in appropriate places, alliance between the utilities and over seas suppliers of the technology all financed by the consumer and tax payer and likely helping various politicians to get richer.

Regards,

murraypaul
Lemon Slice

Postby murraypaul » August 19th, 2021, 3:18 pm

odysseus2000 wrote:The assertion made by Farage ...

I do not see how this is remotely sensible.

Seems to check out.

Hallucigenia
Lemon Quarter

Postby Hallucigenia » August 19th, 2021, 6:10 pm

odysseus2000 wrote:The assertion made by Farage

And who gives a fig about Farage? How is he even worth the time of day when it comes to this stuff? What next, Peter Andre on the future of quantum computing? It's just noise, someone who's been consistently wrong about just about everything, feeling the need to get his name in the papers by combining two buzzwords.

Yes, and that is the point, as the lithium battery economy grows more and more lithium will be re-cycled avoiding a lot of the costs of mining. Lithium is not like oil. It is not consumed in the batteries.

The point is this only really becomes meangingful once the industry has settled down into a "steady state" - until then recycling will always be 10 years behind a massive growth curve. Recycling could be 10-20% of supplies by 2030, something like that.

Would you expect the head of Wheaton Precious Metals to say anything other than there isn't enough supply

Just like you'd expect a Tesla shareholder to be less than rigorous in analysing Tesla? You've spent too much time around tech hype - even the sector famous for holes in the ground with a liar at the top has worked out that they usually get found out if their predictions on the wider market are too far out. But that wasn't really my point, I was just using as a third-party source for your point about Tesla e.g. have discussed buying known deposits to set up their own mining operation - aside from Tesla's own comments in their latest presentation about delaying products "due to the limited availability of battery cells and global supply chain challenges"

But you don't have to call on some kind of conspiracy theory for the default assumption to be that an industrial sector undergoing a >10x increase in sales over the next few years may struggle for inputs - to be honest I'm slightly surprised how well the lithium industry is coping, given the difficulties in getting new mines permitted and built. We've been here before with Toyota's plans to sell millions of hybrids a decade ago, falling foul of insufficient supplies of key inputs. So it's no surprise that individual manufacturers are looking to lock in supplies.

My electricity prices have been rising relentlessly despite the rapid rise in the amount of UK wind generated electricity. Sure gas prices are high but with the rapid rise in wind power the price of gas is becoming less important in the price of electricity.

Not relevant - gas is the source of the marginal MWh, so the wholesale price largely gets determined by gas prices. And if your personal prices have been rising relentlessly then that's your fault - they've been flat to falling in the last 7 years, the lowest tariff reported by Ofgem (red line on "Retail price comparison by company and tariff type: Domestic (GB) " chart) has gone down over 10% in that time. And as an aside, if you look at the "Pre-tax domestic supply margins of large legacy suppliers, combined gas and electricity" chart on the same page, you'll see that margins have been squeezed in recent years such that most of the major players were losing money as of the latest data in 2019. The only exception is British Gas, making a 2% margin - hardly monopoly profits.

TUK020
Lemon Quarter

Postby TUK020 » August 19th, 2021, 6:53 pm

Hallucigenia wrote:
odysseus2000 wrote:The assertion made by Farage

And who gives a fig about Farage? How is he even worth the time of day when it comes to this stuff? What next, Peter Andre on the future of quantum computing? It's just noise, someone who's been consistently wrong about just about everything, feeling the need to get his name in the papers by combining two buzzwords.

The point is this only really becomes meangingful once the industry has settled down into a "steady state" - until then recycling will always be 10 years behind a massive growth curve. Recycling could be 10-20% of supplies by 2030, something like that.

Would you expect the head of Wheaton Precious Metals to say anything other than there isn't enough supply

Just like you'd expect a Tesla shareholder to be less than rigorous in analysing Tesla? You've spent too much time around tech hype - even the sector famous for holes in the ground with a liar at the top has worked out that they usually get found out if their predictions on the wider market are too far out. But that wasn't really my point, I was just using as a third-party source for your point about Tesla e.g. have discussed buying known deposits to set up their own mining operation - aside from Tesla's own comments in their latest presentation about delaying products "due to the limited availability of battery cells and global supply chain challenges"

But you don't have to call on some kind of conspiracy theory for the default assumption to be that an industrial sector undergoing a >10x increase in sales over the next few years may struggle for inputs - to be honest I'm slightly surprised how well the lithium industry is coping, given the difficulties in getting new mines permitted and built. We've been here before with Toyota's plans to sell millions of hybrids a decade ago, falling foul of insufficient supplies of key inputs. So it's no surprise that individual manufacturers are looking to lock in supplies.

Not relevant - gas is the source of the marginal MWh, so the wholesale price largely gets determined by gas prices. And if your personal prices have been rising relentlessly then that's your fault - they've been flat to falling in the last 7 years, the lowest tariff reported by Ofgem (red line on "Retail price comparison by company and tariff type: Domestic (GB) " chart) has gone down over 10% in that time. And as an aside, if you look at the "Pre-tax domestic supply margins of large legacy suppliers, combined gas and electricity" chart on the same page, you'll see that margins have been squeezed in recent years such that most of the major players were losing money as of the latest data in 2019. The only exception is British Gas, making a 2% margin - hardly monopoly profits.

Hallucigenia,
Given the disconnects you have just pointed out, do you expect logic to work?
Like the handle btw
tuk020

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Postby odysseus2000 » August 19th, 2021, 11:51 pm

Hallucigenia

The point was that an obviously wrong statement was not picked up by any popular commentators showing how little the electric revolution has penetrated into the understanding of most people with widespread ignorance about the constituents of lithium ion batteries.

Yes, and so if you are a miner knowing that if lithium ion remains the dominant battery for BEV and storage that within 10 years you will be facing competition from previously extracted lithium. This adds a lot more uncertainty to the business of investing to build a lithium mining facility and this competition will increase with time. Or there may be some break through, and many are trying, that replaces the lithium battery.

The lack of batteries is not due to lithium shortages but due to problems making the 4680 battery in commercial quantities.

This is a great 'o'-level answer, but the real world operates at an advanced level. The disconnect between the narrative supported by Ofgem and what could be achieved is clearly illustrated by Buffett's wind portfolio and those of other electric producers in nearly States. They all use the same technology, the same wind and yet Buffett electricity is far cheaper. Sure one can look at the accounts of UK suppliers and their declared margins and think these business are only just viable. That is what you get when you have much larger internal overheads than are needed and a whole bunch of stuff that jacks up costs to the point where they can justify price rises to the regulator. If more efficient operators come here with large storage then one can expect energy prices to consumers to fall, otherwise vested interests will keep them inflated although the spoils from such practices as supported by Ofgem will never reach ordinary shareholders.

Regards,

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Postby odysseus2000 » August 20th, 2021, 12:18 pm

Tesla AI day was amazing, although very technical in parts that some may struggle to understand. The event starts at 1hr 6 mins in, actual run time 2hrs 27 mins:

https://youtu.be/11QXiJ8ORe8

The information released on self driving makes me yet more confident that it will appear and be super human in performance. There does not seem to be a need to have better hardware, although this is coming, and it now looks to be about finding the edge cases and training the computer to recognise them. One real world edge case being simulated as over 1000 with slight mods in each.

However, the biggest surprise was the announcement of Tesla AI bot. A humanoid robot capable of doing tasks that require a humanoid form factor and currently aimed at replacing humans in boring and dangerous tasks. The AI bot relies on much of the car driving devlopments and should lead to a very a large industry of $1 trillion plus. Potentially the largest industry ever developed.

No discussion occurred on whether this would remain part of Tesla or be spun off, but it suggests that Tesla shares have far greater upside in the near term than what I expected.

Regards,

Return to “Macro and Global Topics”