Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to nimnarb,Clitheroekid,AndyPandy,DrFfybes,smokey01, for Donating to support the site

Why is cancer striking earlier?

Fitness tips, Relaxation, Mind and Body
bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Re: Why is cancer striking earlier?

Postby bungeejumper » July 27th, 2023, 9:47 am

Might be diet (and probably is), and might be air quality, and might be weight, blood pressure, drugs, pharmaceuticals or exercise. All these things have been fingered as causes, and IMHO rightly so.

The one that we don't hear about so often is the apparent link between cancer and stress. Something which younger people certainly do seem to experience more than their elders used to. Careers, housing, debt, gender doubts, and not least the relentless focus on changing jobs. (My daughter was told that if she stayed with any one employer for more than 18 months it wouldn't look good on her CV. Sheesh. :( )

Cue the usual stuff about snowflake millennials and yadda yadda yadda, but I wouldn't want the kind of pressures younger people are suffering. I left school and went to university with no ideas about what I wanted to do, but with a sense that it would all sort itself out because the degree would pretty much guarantee that somebody wanted me. That isn't nearly so self-evident these days.

And then there's social media and 24/7 emails and the parlous state of the world. Is there a link between all this stress and rising cancer levels? You bet there is. :|

BJ

MrFoolish
Lemon Quarter

Postby MrFoolish » July 28th, 2023, 12:02 pm

I don't think there's enough medical consensus to tax "unhealthy foods".

Let's try some common ones. Are the following Good or Bad...?

1. Eggs
2. Butter
3. Sugar
4. Vegetable oil
5. Meat
6. Bread

Please submit your answers.

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Postby ReformedCharacter » July 28th, 2023, 12:17 pm

MrFoolish wrote:I don't think there's enough medical consensus to tax "unhealthy foods".

Let's try some common ones. Are the following Good or Bad...?

1. Eggs
2. Butter
3. Sugar
4. Vegetable oil
5. Meat
6. Bread

Please submit your answers.

I think a reasonable consensus exists, particularly with regard to ultra-processed food and sugar\refined carbohydrates.

Eggs - good
Butter - bad, although opinions seem to vary
Sugar - bad
Vegetable oil - depends on oil
Meat - processed meats bad, moderate amounts of unprocessed meat good
Bread - white processed bad, decent wholemeal \ proper sourdough good in moderation

Worth a watch:

The Scary New Research On Sugar & How They Made You Addicted To It! Jessie Inchauspé

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnEJrgc1BCk

RC

Return to “Health & Wellbeing”