Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Anonymous,bruncher,niord,gvonge,Shelford, for Donating to support the site

Incoming foreign payment charges?

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
PMTI

Incoming foreign payment charges?

Postby PMTI » November 29th, 2016, 8:16 pm

After 6 months of arguing with an airline, they have finally agreed to pay me compensation for a 4.5hr flight delay - it only took 2 days for them to back down once I could elevate it to the CAA!

Compensation is paid in Euros so I was wondering if I would face any charges having it paid into one of my GBP current accounts, given its a different currency? I hold accounts with most high street banks so could potentially have paid into whichever is best.

Does anyone have any insight before I trudge around asking all the banks individually?

Thanks

PMTI

PMTI

Re: Incoming foreign payment charges?

Postby PMTI » November 30th, 2016, 8:36 pm

In answer to my own question, and for anyone else's benefit, for basic current accounts and amounts over £100, the fees for select high street banks are as follows:

HSBC = £8
TSB = £7
Lloyds = £7
NatWest = £7
Santander = £0
Nationwide = £0

But of course, the exchange rate each bank uses is up to them, so for larger deposits, the fee may be less important, especially if you know when the payment will be made so can shop around for the best rate on the day. Unfortunately I don't have that luxury and so Santander or Nationwide will do for me.

PMTI

Return to “Does anyone know?”